1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Compost Spreader

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone out there found a spreader capable of spreading compost, spagnum, or peat? Manual push is all I need for covering a fall seeding in wooded lakefront lots.
    I could do it by hand but manually busting the clumps into suitable particle size is very time consuming.
    thanks, .rick.
  2. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Look for the mini topper at this site http://www.sportsturfmagic.com/

I have been thinking about getting one just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I've been using a Newer Spreader with great results.It'll spread it all.It just takes longer to load than it does to spread.It,and a Dingo,are perfect.
    I see they have a larger model available now.
  4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

5. Smallaxe

Thanks for the links, guys. They look as though they will do the trick. Now to review and decide.
    Appreciate it, .rick.
  6. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Did you decide on a spreader? If so, can you give us a review.
  7. Smallaxe

Of what I saw, your suggestion was the one I would like. However I am still trying to justify the business expense.
  8. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

For those of you considering a compost spreader here are some things you need to consider.

The first is the ability to spread wet material or material that contains moisture. Most push style spreaders are "gravity feed". These types of spreaders tend to have "bridging problems". "Bridging" is when a cavity forms in the hopper and material stops moving.

Capacity-To maintain productivity you need the largest machine that will fit on your customers' properties.

You can purchase an inexpensive machine but if you spend all of your time clearing "bridged" material and re-filling the spreader there is no benefit.
  9. MichiganMark

MichiganMark LawnSite Member

I have almost decided to buy a newer spreader (www.newspreader.com).

Most buyers use if to spread horse manure - I want to use it to spread compost on my lawn. My lawn is about 10 years old and the topsoil I added way back when is becoming depleted - the base soil is pretty sandy.

Has anyone used a new spreader to spread compost - how does it work?
  10. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Turfco's Meter Matic self propelled is a good machine.