Compost spreader?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by rwb, Feb 25, 2004.

1. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Forget my last post...

Craig

2. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Depends of the model, look at my last post.

3. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I thought I would revive this thread.
    Has anyone out there found a decent spreader?

Craig

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I am really interested to hear if anyone has used the pelletized compost from Laurel Valley and what they think of it. Does it work to improve soils/growth? I am thinking that for now this is a solution. I can't justify spending the big $$ on major equipment for a service that might not take. Not to mention, I really am not impressed by the spreaders presented so far.

:D

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'd also like to hear, from those of you who do it now, how exactly your setup for topdressing works. How often you have to refill, how you work the refillings, etc. Do you have a worker running back and forth with more compost? Do you go to a refilling point? Do you shovel it in, use a scoop, whatever? Also, what are your average costs vs your average charge for what sized lawns?

I ask because I've been trying to figure out what kind of setup I would use to do this. Trying to figure how labor intensive it's going to be, exactly.

6. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

$3500 seems way to expensive for such a small hopper

7. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention the small screen clogging up as soon as the first compost falls into it.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This is based on personal experience with THIS particular machine I assume??

9. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

:blush: :blush: :blush: I sincerely apologize. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I looked at the picture and made an assumption about the machine and how it worked but I was wrong. I saw the screen at the bottom and recognized the screen immediately as the screen that I tried to use to screen my compost. I found the screen clogged up immediately. But my assumption was that the screen was used to screen the compost for application. That's where I was wrong.

If you have prejudged that compost spreader like I did, go back to the website and look for the video. It clearly shows that the compost pours out above the roller screen. The screen is used to spread, not filter. I've never seen compost flow like that apparently does. Maybe you can go directly to the video at www.topdresser.ca/?Video

My only concern was that it looked like it would spread about an inch at a time. Was that just for demonstration? Can the spread rate be dropped down by about 1/3 to apply 1/3 inch? Anyone know?

Once again, I apologize. I thought I'd seen all the compost spreaders there was out there but I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. :waving:

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey David. Regarding the application rate, the info I received in the mail states:

"An in-hopper agitator and rate adjustment baffle has increased the types of products that can be applied".