1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

compost substitute ?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cspaugh, Mar 12, 2008.

1. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

I have at my availibility a cricket farm and a meal worm farm. They sell there castings as part of their business. One cubic yard weighs in at 560 pounds and would cost me $31 dollars wholesale with the scale sliding in my favor for larger quantities. Would either of these products be worthy as a topdress or should I use them to make teas or both. I plan on using 123ITC also but would i get as good a benifits from the castings as i would from finished compost. Thanks.
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

That's a darn good question
    I don't think I have heard of cricket castings before, what in the world do you feed a cricket to have him grow up big and strong. Cheerio's

I think Kiril said it best, organic matter is organic matter. Leaf compost, tree compost, composted chicken manure, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think cow, people and pig manures are usually left out of this, issues are: Ecoli, steroids, heavy metals, other toxins

Maybe for turf they would be OK just not in the garden, I'm not really sure
  3. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

I just ot a little more info on the cricket poo. It has one of the highest NPK values I think I have seen in organics,N=4.04, P=2.18, K=2.26. They say it is a dry fluffy casting and can be mixed with sand and put through a regular spreader. They are fed what he calls "fancy" chicken feed, his father started the company back before I was around. I will be adding this into my program as soon as I can figure where to work it in.
  4. Dean_W

Dean_W LawnSite Member

Intresting, I've never heard of Cricket poo either! I'll have to google it now to learn more. :)

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Cricket poo? You guys do strange things in Georgia. :)

I think it's as good an idea as any. I would have it tested for pathogens just to be sure.