compost tea in a bottle

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Keegan, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I've seen compost tea in bottles that is ready to go and I know some guys on here sell it. He good is it really? Everything I've read on compost tea is that you need to brew it and use it within hours. So who is right? :confused:

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

the ICT Organics that Bill offers claims to have dormant microbes that awaken and become active. i can't remember how or when they activate, but i'm sure Bill will chime in and let you know the details of his product.

i can't wait to try out some this year. also, going to brew up my own CT thise year for the first time also.

3. Dean_W

Dean_W LawnSite Member

I bought some compost tea in a bottle. I was under the impresion that ACCT would explode if placed w/in a bottle.

Dean

4. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I used it on over 200,000 ft of turf on 25 yards and it works! I did 65 power seeding jobs last fall and sprayed 25 of them with ICT (some side by side - with and with out) Night and day. The yards with ICT grew in much thicker before the winter dormate period and they are greening up quicker right now! ICT has a ton of stuff in it besides the basics - like Myco!

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i got some of ict product and will be spraying it this season cant wait

6. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I think I will give my customers a choice between ICT Organics and the chemicals I think ICT will be a lot cheaper. what and how do you charge.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You can bottle a compost tea extract, not compost tea. It's a process where the microbes are ripped off the compost and not given any food or are "put to sleep". This product is good for lawns, but not good for tree/shrub applications because you want the active microbes to be absorbed by the leaves.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need to clarify this statement.

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Taken from the Compost Tea Brewing Manual, 5th edition, by Dr. Elaine Ingham. $40 bucks for you cheapskates.

"Thus, teas that have been "put to sleep" are better for soil applications, because the organisms have time to wake up before they start to function, whereas on leaves, the organisms must be immediately active to protect the leaf surface."

I should have said protected, not absorbed. That might be a question for Bill. How long after adding the "Accelerator" part of his tea do the microbes wake up?