Compost tea mixing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by nadgnik, May 12, 2008.

1. nadgnik

nadgnik LawnSite Member

I have a question about compost tea and water analysis. We have two water sources that I had tested. One tested for hard water (9.9 grains per gallon) with a nitrate reading of 3.67. The other tested for soft water (3.2 grains per gallon) with a nitrate reading of .44. Will the differences affect the effectiveness of compost tea? Would you recommend one source over the other? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

yahoo groups has a group specifically for tea. I have yet to see valid questions stay unaddressed.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

my only suggestion, don't drink the first well, just use it for fertilizer, my fish tank has less nitrates. after that, think how many elements you have in dirt.well water is well water, just as long as its not poison!! chlorine ammonia etc.

there is some discussions about the tbs. but common sense says dirt herd is no going to mind some Ca or FE03.
  4. hairco

hairco LawnSite Member

Hi i am new here & love to read all your post, but i would like to know about the Tea?How do you make or do you buy it?Thanks
  5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

you can attempt to make your own, or you can buy some ICT (instant compost tea). There are all kinds of threads about it, just type it into the search engine.
  6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Where are you located in SC I don't recognize the name of the town, on the coast or near charlotte NC

The person that has proably done the most research is Dr Elaine Ingham from the soil food web. check out the site at there are several books and CD's on there on compost teas and how to make them

You can also go to our site, below, and read up on our instant compost tea product. Welcome to the dark green side........LUKE, I am your father!
  7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I realized I didn't answer the question.

Compost Teas are made up as inoculums, much like you get a flu shot, we brew up compost teas to do several things, combat disease in the lawn and landscape, improve soil tilth, improve aggregation, provide nutrients to the soil food web.

What you are trying to do is get nutrient cycling going in the soil, it sounds simple and is, but often we are dealing with neglected soils. So we have lots of inputs for a couple years and then the inputs lessen as the soil fertility increases.

By getting nutrient cycling and soil fertility to improve there are much less disease and drought issues, this allows you to focus on a great stand of turf, garden or landscape without having to spray fungicides, herbicides or fertilize.

If some sort of fertilization plan is needed for missing micro or macro nutrients they are needed in much smaller increments, you can cut you fertilizer inputs by 75 to 90%

Lets see, its less expensive, better for you and your customers and you don't have to spray or apply toxic chemicals. HHMMMM??

TG says that at her operation she can head to the customer and spray compost teas at $2.00 per 1000 their cost. You can also purchase ours to get you started at $0.67 per 1000.

It can be applied by almost anything that sprays a jet of water, as your customer base expands you of course will need bigger equipment to have some economies of scale
  8. hairco

hairco LawnSite Member

Hi i live in conway,S.C. 10 mins from MyrtleBeach .I am just trying to improve my soil for to plants flowers & things. I just thought i would try the homemade stuff instead of buying 10-10-10 & take the chance of burning up every thing. We have a place at the beach (water & sewer) that sell compost that is great but i need dump truck loads.Thanks for all your help. Jeanette
  9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

i don't cut my own hair, don't try diy brews there are inconsistent at best and dangerous at worst. find a tested pro with a large portfolio of happy green customers.
    and be ware of organic program's that are only organic based or hybrids, if they come clean at the start at least they are honest and care so that would be a good solution also, less input is good.
  10. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

That is a load. TG, I normally think you're a pretty level headed, well spoken (written) person. However, To use a phrase that is over-used --- CT is not rocket science. There are tons of sites on the web that will explain, in detail, how to produce small batch CT for one's own use.