Compost tea... ok to apply now?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by avguy, Sep 10, 2011.

1. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

A few months ago I purchased some instant compost tea from Bill at ICT. I never could seem to find the time to get it down until now. My concern is that it has been a pretty dry and stressful season for my bermuda. We finally got some much needed rain a couple days ago and thought this might be a good time to get it applied? Even when the lawn is stressed?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The essential mindset of the CT is: Feed The Soil, Not the Grass...

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It will actually help with stress, most companies apply it through out the summer months to keep color and density when you would never be applying a chemical fertilizer. your Bermuda will love it, apply every 4 to 6 weeks, we like to see at least 4 application per year

4. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Smallaxe and Bill. I'm just trying to get my arms around everything I'm applying to my lawn.

5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Bermuda is a southern turfgrass and heavy N user. It needs fertilizer throughout the growing season. Mid summer applications are necessary for turf health and vigor.

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

here are pictures of St Aug that had 1/30 of a pound of nitrogen applied for the year, I have to post the link because you cannot post a picture twice on this forum for some reason

it is about 3/4 ways down on the post
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=335294

and here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=328680

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Nice looking yards! I recall those pictures . . . and posts that followed. Do you have any examples of a bermuda yard getting by on 1/30 of a pound of N?

I'm not trying to be provacative, but bermuda, and particularly the hybrid bermudas, need N throughout the growing season.