1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

compost tea production question

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by pineymountain, Jan 16, 2013.

1. pineymountain

pineymountain LawnSite Member

Im trying to get the numbers of compost tea production and see what scale of production is feasible. Where would one go to find these?

Mostly what I am looking for is how much compost needs to be produced per account per application.
  2. pineymountain

I'll take a stab at it. Please correct me as you see fit.

.5 acre lawn is 21780 sqft
    You would need 152 gallons of tea for application
    152 gallons of application tea in a diluted (3:1) state is 50 gallons undiluted.
    I havent seen actually number on what you need to brew, generally just a few shovels into a bag to brew. So lets call that a cubic foot?

So a cubic foot of compost (plus tea growth supplements) is enough for a half acre application?

Honestly seems like the water bill will be the biggest cost after production is running.
  3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Your numbers are incorrect. Where are you getting this info from?
  4. pineymountain

here and there really. I cant state the specific source as I was at work earlier surfing. The numbers were 5-7 gallons per 1000 sqft and dilution of tea 3 to 1.

That's why I asked in the OP where to go to find some info.

Can you help out?
  5. pineymountain

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Peter Schmidt is a good source, forget the other one.
    The mix rate can vary from 1 gal of actively aerated compost tea to 3 or 5 gals of water and only apply 5-7 gals of the mix per 1000 sq ft.

Learn a lot more about compost tea at http://www.microbeorganics.com/

You need to know what your doing, if not you'll just be spraying brown water.
  7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

If I was you id listen to the University Extensions and be very cautious about buying anything when it comes to ORGANICS. Their remedies change weekly.

I can't believe Lawnsite allows this crap. We are here to learn not be cheated.

Read this stuff:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Compost tea 4.pdf

8. greenpepper

greenpepper LawnSite Member

I guess we can't rely on unscientific methods like your eyes...to know when something is working. There has to be a test done by universities that are owned by the chemical lobby. When I attended the Purdue University workshop for acquiring a pesticide license the Chem-heads were constantly bashing organics then asking "Is anyone in here thinking about doing organics?" then laughing...bunch of D****!
  9. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

Well maybe I'm new at the Organic Lawn Care System....but out of the 3 main things, I'm using two steps and they definitely work. Not because I'm doing them, but the finish results speak for themselves.

1. Core Aeration
    2. Organic Compost Spreading /with reseeding
    3. Organic Compost Tea

#1 & # 2 I've seen first hand ...and gotten amazing results!!! #3 I'm working on right now, and I think it's going to work great too!!!

Here's my little link to promote a bit more knowledge on "Yard Renovation".

Here's the Craigslist's Posting ID # 3551590225: if my link doesn't work
  10. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I agree, You got it. That's great. When your at 99% already will you see a difference.

If your talking disease suppression or overall plant soil health quality compost tea has not been proven any more effective.

Compost can physically supress disease from spreading by simply smothering it.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013