compost tea thats bad???

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by tweezerbeak, Mar 5, 2008.

1. tweezerbeak

tweezerbeak LawnSite Member

ok...next question...have any of you guys ever made a tea that did damage to anything??? I mean if I make my own but do not analyze it for fungi and bact and protozoa etc..will i kill any plants????

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally, you're not going to do damage with properly made compost tea with a good source of compost. There are always exceptions though. You could always have SFI New York take a look at your tea.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I did see a compost tea application go very wrong... I have no idea what the guy used in it, but it killed or damaged every living thing he sprayed it on. I will add, he was a real fly by night guy, pretty whacky upstairs from what this sustomer told me. No telling what he used to brew it.

I think that is extremely rare. For all I know, the guy had RoundUp in it. That's almost what it looked like. If you use organics, even if they had been treated with most any material, it should be safe. I would add one caveat... that is to make sure the compost has been aged and had enough time to break down. I am no authority on the subject, but unless someone does something VERY stupid, it's highly unlikely a tea could be dangerous to use. How good or bad it is is probably another issue. One I would not be at all qualified to comment on.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

i think the 3 things that make good tea are

1 old compost that is balanced and aerated
    2 air air air and more air air, areobes good anerobs very bad. the more air the safer generally
    3water that is clean.

if you have a question about your tea and don't want to spend $ try it on some mixed seedlings. good tea will make them happy and a bad batch will "roundup" the little guys.

keep very good records and recipes and you can learn to target or load teas and get good teas every time if you stay consistent