Compost testing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by wallzwallz, Aug 24, 2008.

1. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

2. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering about testing myself, good to know! I will be sending a sample off to the lab from my first pile soon. Ill post the results on here.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Probably will get flamed for this, but for general landscape use I see no need for a bioassay. If your clients want to fork out the cash for one, then by all means.....

Now if your going to use it to make CT, then I would recommend getting one.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

wallzwallz, I would have to read the MA soil ammendment law or contact the office that oversees it, every state that we have registered in has a law on the books that if a company is selling the compost bagged or in bulk, they must have test results available for the consumer, I do not know the extent of the testing but that have to have it available

Here is the contact information for MA

MASSACHUSETTS
    *Robert Rondeau Phone: 617 626-1804
    Program Coordinator FAX 617 626-1850
    251 Causeway St., Suite 500 E-Mail: robert.rondeau@state.ma.us
    MA Dept. of Ag. Resources Website: www.mass.gov/agr
    Boston, MA 02114-2151

I believe the astrick means they are acting and not the main contact

5. wallzwallz

Thanks for the replys.

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Kiril,
    You have never said anything to get you flamed......NOT!
    :blob2::blob2::blob2:

Bioassay's for companies that do not know how to interpret, simply a waste of money. Those that are trying to understand, it makes sense. As your knowledge builds you will understand how simple it is and do them yourselves

Like most tests they give you a base line

8. wallzwallz

My real concern is for topdressing. The bioassay's aren't cheap, I just want to make sure it's mature, high organic matter compost. I believe one source does do testing.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Then do your traditional "soil" test (including heavy metals). Like Bill said, you can get all the information you need (biologically speaking) for this type of use from simply throwing a sample under a scope and taking a look.

10. wallzwallz

Yes, I'm not looking into the Bio end yet, wouldn't mean that much to me w/ very little knowledge in it. Just want safe compost to spread. Thanks for the advice.