1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jdmcat, May 18, 2008.

1. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I have tilled up my lawn and flattened it out, taking it down 6-8 inches in some areas and i have removed several yards of dirt. I am going to hydroseed but I am wondering if I should mix in some compost first and if so how much. Any suggestions?
  2. jdmcat

from Idaho

anyone? bump...
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes PLEASE, you will happy in the long run. what is the soil like where you are, did you happen to do a soil test to see if any other amendments are needed, this is the opportune time while you have everything all messed up

Without a soil test its hard to know how much, in general 1 to 1 1/2 yards will cover 1000 sf as a top dress
  4. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Use as much compost as you can, and till it in deeply. Before you do that, though, verify the pH of both the compost and your yard, and make any necessary adjustments.
    It's quick, it's cheap, and it's critical. :drinkup:
  5. jdmcat

from Idaho

will the compost change the pH of my soil?
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

In general, good compost acts as a buffer for ph whether high or low. Plant roots create their own microenvironment and OM helps them do that.
  7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I tilled in a 1" layer to a depth of about 6" before I sodded my lawn. Definitely worth the effort.