Compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking, during the winter, I would like to make compost, from manure only. Like the stuff they sell in bags. Manure of course is only 'green' and should be mixed with a 'brown' on a 25:1 ratio, however, the 'brown' is likely to cost money and take longer.

Does anyone know the technique for manure only composting or the best source to discover the technique?

Thanks for any and all ideas.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The more experienced with making compost will chime in, but if you're going to use manure, why not use worms to break the manure down?

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

WORMS, it is a wonderful food or them. You can often have a 10 to 12 week turn around time, depending on the size of the bed
    Of course which ever way you go you will have to keep it in a fairly warm environment unless the piles are huge or buried underground like silage

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ok so from what we have gathered horse manure is 25-35:1 from the start or end..... so you really dont need to add anything to it to compost........... maybe some diversity. if there is a lot of wood and not just manure then you will be adding N. it takes 50 lbs of worms per horse to stay on top of production. up north they have insulated bins or just add some green manure to the ends of the beds for heat(you have to have an old spot in the beds the worms can get out of the heat)

5. treegal1

also, Bill, a one day turn around is possible with the worms.

lbs of worms is usualy the same as the food per day lbs eaten.

6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

will worms eat the shavings too? I may have asked this before...

7. treegal1

of course!! one lip and no teeth may take a while...........

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

That's true, I was thinking starting from scratch, like he will be doing, it will take some time to gain momentum and get them established and happy

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

what would be a way to speed that up? Or just keep the shavings out if possible?

10. treegal1

bill, even from scratch you only feed what they can eat in a day or 2, large piles that get worms tossed in are not going to decompose real well. just my exp.LOLOL

deep, you need a fungus amoung us!!!!LOLOL even harderLOLOL