Compost?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnMowerKing10, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

tyler, Just becuz your visual imagery is silly,,, doesn't mean the reality is silly... The blower idea is absolutely undoable in the neighborhoods I work, becuz of dust,, and the shovel and rake are a waste of time,,, with very poor coverage... I still can't see the investment in a topdresser and I still believe I could do the load quicker with less impact on the lawn...

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Dump and rake with stiff tined leaf rake. With practice you will learn how big and where to place the piles to get the desired depth once it is raked out. Generally you don't want to size your piles any larger than 2 large steps away from the pile when raking it out.

3. LawnForceOne

LawnForceOne LawnSite Member

What about Easy Flo pelletized compost? You can put it down with a regular spreader. One bag (40 pounds if i remember correctly) covers 1100 sq ft 1/4 inch deep. Around $20 per bag. Ive never used this stuff myself but im very interested in it. Anyone who has used it care to chime in??

4. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone tried pelletized compost before?

5. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no way 40# will provide that kind of coverage. I haven't run the calculations but I don't believe 400# would do it...not even close.

6. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used PennMulch and other similar brands for seeding/repairs but not pelletized compost.

7. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

we use the hand/paddle method also. no shoveling or raking. we mulch in a similar way also.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have someone man the wheelbarrow or do it alone???

9. WildLake

I usually have 3 or 4 guys and one will stay on the truck to keep an extra barrow filled. You can spread a each load very fast.

10. WildLake

Each guy handles his own wheel barrow. They sorta toss armfuls(sp). Similar to the way one would toss a handful of seed over an area but they grab as much from the barrow as possible with each toss. We usually use a product called leaf gro which may be a regional product its very light and spreads great.