compost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeshere89, Jul 27, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

do any lco's provide compost service for any of there customers? i for one do and charge 60 bucks a yard to put it down and spread it. i usually do this late september early october after i have aerated the lawn, i also tell the customers that it is a great time to overseed. i am curious how many of you guys do this, my customers love the results (green all winter with a quick green up in the spring) the smell is definately worth the results.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

top dressing the beds we only use mulch.

Compost we use for our plantings.

Our prices are relative to what you charge. More for the back. Less for quantity.

Some years back, we had an estate with horses. We had to get rid of the manure once a year in October. They paid me to take it away, they even had someone with a farm near bye that we took it to. I took most of it and sold it. Best damn stuff we ever used and was a great deal, get paid to take it, then sell it :D

3. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I don't but have some questions. What kind of compost do you use and how do you spread it? We do some lawns that the ground is like concrete. A one day workshop I took at Rutgers last winter suggested this to put organic matter in the soil. Is there a special spreader or can you use a rotary spreader? How big of a lawn can various spreaders be used on? Thanks for the help. Matt

4. mikeshere89

from iowa

matt,

i go down to our local compost facility and pick up my compost which consists of all kinds of different matter, leaves, mulch and i couldnt even tell you the rest but i get a yard for like 8 bucks,

you can spread it using a couple of different methods which the facility will rent to you for a minimal fee,

1. is a walk behind spreader different from a regular fert. spreader becouse the compost will not go throu a reg drop spreader.

2. and this is what i use is a trailor that you can attach to your lawn tractor or z and it work like any other manure spreader beings it has a conveyer belt that is driven by the wheels. i usually put down anywhere from a quarter inch to half inch of compost and yes it does soften the ground a great deal not to mention your customers grass will stay relatively green all winter.

hope this helps ya

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

same here. that manure will grow the most amazing annuals and perennials you have ever seen in this area.

6. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I try to use 1/2-3/4" of compost when I seed especially if the yard is being renovated. Results are top notch providing proper watering, A local materials provider also blows compost ansd seed sown on the larger jobs 8 CY or larger. Right now we shovel spread it once aerated and seeded. No fertilizer necessary. Looking at tow and self propelled top dressers this year from Turfco and Gearmore. So far both manufacturers representatives stink.

7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Wish I could still get the manure at least for my own house.

Today it would be realy time consuming for us. Kinda glad we don't do it now/

8. I topdressed 18 tons of compost last year. Spread it on two big commercial accounts. It covered 195,000 sq ft.
    They were rather poor lawns and I'd say it nearly doubled the number and size of grass plants.
    I used this little spreader. I think it's half a cubic yard capacity.
    This year I'd like to mix compost with river sand to help soften the soil a little. There's not much sand in the soil around here and it develops a crust on top.

greeen earth & turf ~1.jpg

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, they charge for that stuff. I guess I am lucky because the city has it available for free to whoever can shovel the most when the truck tips it. I have used this stuff for years and it is great, all the weed seeds have been cooked out so it makes a great base for seed as well as planting beds. There are no sticks stones leaves ect, it looks like black dirt but it is composted organic matter. 8 bucks a yard, mayby I'll load a semi up and come your way.

10. mikeshere89

from iowa

dave,

that is the exact same spreader i used last year worked out really well for me, i have about 15 contracts this year for compost and thats after i aerate, good money and its not that bad of a job with that spreader, dam the whole neighborhood is going to stink like ---- for awhile thou.