1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ducky1, Oct 22, 2003.

1. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a great deal of composted grass clippings and leaves and was going to put it on my garden and was wondering if I could get too much? The clippings and leaves are pretty much composted to dirt.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

No, you can't get too much.

3. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

You cannot get too much if you apply as a mulch to plants. A good way to stretch it out is to put down one inch of the good compost and cover that with 3 inches or more of chipped tree mulch. There is no need to "work it in" to the soil. In fact, I can think of a few reasons to not work it in.

However, if you use it on a lawn, you can easily get too much and smother the grass. I even saw bermuda smothered with compost. It didn't return for 18 months so the owner went to St Augustine to start over. For lawn use, limit your use to 1 cubic yard of compost per 1,000 square feet of turf. Use a push broom, leaf broom, leaf blower, or upside down leaf rake to knock the compost off the grass blade surfaces.

4. ducky1

I just plan to use it on my garden. Thanks

5. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Although 6 feet of it might be a little too much of a raised bed ...:D

6. ducky1

My garden is a tad low in spots. I aggree that 6 ft might be a touch much.