Compressers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greatdane522003, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about my Christmas present to myself I mite be getting a new air compresser, I wanted to see what you guys use and if you have had good luck with that brand? Thanks!

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

ingresol rand (spelling might be wrong) or campbell hausfeld spelling again are great brands i would highly suggest either

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive hade my campbell hausfeld 5hp 60 gal for 9 years now. It always does the job. As a matter of fact, Im in the middle of painting one of my trucks now. Cant be without it!

4. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I have a coleman that wife bought me last Christmas.

I was in the garage yesterday changing my stump grinding teeth when I heard a loud BANG. Under the plastic top(standup model), it blew the top peice of housing off...snapped two bolts in half and tore the rubber gasket.

Now the tank still runs, but can only manage 40 pounds of pressure.

Last time I'll buy a Coleman anything.

Dennis

5. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

Get one that will do 175psi the 120psi just don't cut it.

6. Greatdane522003

Greatdane522003 LawnSite Member

I want to get something that last and cost between 300-500 bucks!

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

My compressor is a crapsman, twin cylinder pro model.. It is the second one I have had, first one threw a rod Sears promptly gave me a new replacement and I have been using it for three years without difficulty.
    BobR

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Make sure,regardless of manufacturer,it is a belt driven and one you can add oil to.Don't go the cheap route with an "oil free" without a belt drive.
    With a belt drive you can replace individual components,like the motor or compressor when they go out and it's out of warranty.
    Get a large enough tank for the work you'll be doing.If you're going to be doing alot of sanding or grinding,get the biggest tank you can afford.
    If you're going to be using it more sparingly,like removing nuts and bolts,light grinding,airing up tires,changing tires,etc.,, you can get away with a small 25 gallon.
    Pay particular attention to the CFM rating.In order to turn those tools at high speeds you need about 5.7 CFM @90 PSI.(Look at the tools you'll be using the most and note their CFM rating at 90 PSI.That will indicate the type of compressor you'll want)
    Now,the reason for the big tank(100 gallon for those grinders and sanders) is that when you're using air to power those tools at high speeds,you'll go through 25 gallons of air in no time and you're compressor will be constantly turning on and off to maintain 90 PSI.
    Hope this helps

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a CH 26 gallon. No problems yet. Depending on your application, you might want one with a smaller tank. It kind of sucks to have to fill up that large tank just to air up a tire. But I did want one that was portable. I will probably get a smaller pancake model for tires and changing blades.

10. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Pancake compressors are nice to have. I have a Porter Cable that I use to run my air nailers.

Dennis