Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GSPHUNTER, Mar 2, 2008.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I've pretty well got my mind made up, but I guess I need to write this any way. My buddy is getting out of the biz this year and he's trying to sell his
    52" Ferris to me.

I ran a comp. test on a 23 hp Kaw engine and got 120 from cylinder 1 and 90 from cylinder 2. Needless to say, this was alarming. Anybody have any ideas of quick fixes that could be causing this?:hammerhead:
  2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

HG on CYL2 ?
  3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

That's certainly a possibility.

HG = Head Gasket? I'm assuming that if this is the problem, it is a pain to fix and not worth buying a headache.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Depends on what caused the HG to malfunction.
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you performing this compression test with the engine cold or after it has had time to get to operating temp?

I did it cold real quick last night, and I know it is supposed to be at operating temp. I'll test it again tonight after it's warmed up, but do you really think it's going to make a 30psi difference in compression after it's warm. Also, the mower had been running about 5 hrs before I did the test, so oil should have still been on the cylinder wall I would think.

Thanks for the replies.
  8. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is less than expected, squirt a small amount of engine oil in through the spark plug hole so it coats all around the edge of the piston and cylinder.

Repeat the compression test.

If the pressure reading is now acceptable, then the rings need replacement or the piston/cylinder are excessively worn. If there is little change, there is a valve problem.

If the measurement is very low under both conditions, there may be a blown head gasket or damaged (punctured) cylinder or head. (Or your engine has a compression release mechanism which is reducing the reading)
  9. CarterKraft

CarterKraft LawnSite Senior Member

just a guess but doesn't that engine have a low RPM compression release on the cam?

If so that would bleed the cylinder pressure off giving a false reading?

Just a thought, I haven't worked on air cooled in a long time.

Well, I went out last night and fired it up for about 5 minutes. Tested the low cylinder first this time and it read 110 psi. Then I tested the other cylinder and it read 130 psi, so I closed the variance a little between cylinders. That still seems like a pretty high difference though.

Also, this is a 2004 Kawasaki with approximately 1000-1200 hours on it.