Compresson Fitting vs. Slip Fix

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by reb12, Oct 13, 2007.

1. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

OK, my son and I are having an argument on which is best to use on a 2" PVC mainline. He says, a slip fix is fine if your connect it fully extended. I say for this repair you should only use a compression fitting. What say you???, and why??? Thanks!

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You'll get arguments both ways as this has been hotly debated here before. Personally, we never install Slip Fixes on pressure lines (but use them all the time on lateral lines) and stick with either compression couplers or Dresser couplings depending on line size. I've replaced way too many Slip Fixes installed by our district plumbers in the past when they were initially maintaining our irrigation systems years ago.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What about using a pair of sch 80 unions?

4. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

We use short pipe with bell end and a coupling.Once you start glueing no stopping.

5. Do not like this method. Involves going all the way down and pulling the bell forward which I think destroys the integrity of the glue joint. I would use slipfixes before this method. 4 ells is the best solution in my opinion.

6. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

Meister, 4 elbows is going to hurt pressure. This is a main that feeds a ton of distant laterals on a high rise condo.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Try the two unions, then. Flow is unaffected.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree..slip fixes are fine for low pressure mains & laterals, but I've
    had them leak at 60 psi & up.

9. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Ive used both but prefer the comp. fittings, the only downside to them on larger piping is that they need to be thrust blocked so they don't blow off or get pushed off the spot they are repairing, wood is no good because eventually it may rot and allow the comp. fitting to move off of its spot.

10. What is the pressure like now? I guess the best solution would be Purps but if you use a comp fitting let me throw a thought out there for the skeet shooters here to fire at. Assuming this is a 2" pipe cracked or whatever and the nearest elbows and/or tees are not known. Take 2 2" crosses, glue in 2' of pipe on on opposite ends with caps glued on basically making it a cross turned into a coupling. glue those on each side of the coupling repair about 3-4' away. Then pour a bag of concrete around each cross/ coupling with the comp coupling in between. This would certainly prevent any shifting either way on the pipe. I've seen pipe shift inside concrete so the cross would add extra strength.

Good idea or bad idea? Better way?