Compressors/Impact Wrenches/Cordless Impact

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CUTTING EDGE 03, Dec 28, 2003.

1. CUTTING EDGE 03

CUTTING EDGE 03 LawnSite Member
    from MO

I started my lawn business in May of 2003 on a part time basis. In 04 I will be full time. I would greatly appreciate input regarding the type of equipment used for removing blades. Specifically, air compressors and impact wrenches (size) and input on cordeless impact wrenches (brands, volts etc).
    Thanks,
    Cutting Edge

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a 6hp 150 psi 30 gal craftsman compressor and a I think it was a 69 or 79 dollar craftsman half inch impact gun its more then enough for blades I use it on my walk behinds and my exmark lazer you could probably save a few dollars and go husky but it really wasnÂ’t that big a deal.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Go for the biggest compressor tank you can get as you will love using air tools if you got the pressure to run them never know when you need to cut something or grind something.

4. CUTTING EDGE 03

from MO

Thanks for the reply. Any experience with cordless impacts?

5. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I have a Milwaukee 18v 240 ft/lb. cordless impact, so far its done everything Ive needed it to do. It also works for my situation since I dont have the shop space for a compressor.

6. CUTTING EDGE 03

from MO

Moguy, thanks for the reply. I looked at the Milwaukee cordless today. Looks like a great piece of equipment, also looked at Dewalt. After about 6 stores looking at compressors and wrenches I finally made the decision and bought at Sears (30 gal/5hp/150psi) the deal also came with an impact wrench and some other goodies. May not be the biggest and baddest on the block but it should make changing blades a lot easier than doing it by hand.

I guess this was the easy part, now I have need to make that call to Magna Matic. Everyone I've talked to said Magna Matic is the way to go, any other opinions?

Thanks,
    Cutting Edge

7. Grump-e

Grump-e LawnSite Member

Try Northern Tools. I bought an electric impact wrench there for $63.00 on sale. It works great so far.

Grump-e

8. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

magna-matic is the only way to go imo.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Just remember air wrenches can break some of the bolts that are small, maybe try a lower air pressure setting when tightening and check them with a wrench or hand ratchet to make sure they are tight enuff, I have an old craftsman electric impact that is good and is very strong, but i still like my air compressor for pumping up tires and also air is great for blowing off the mowers and the end of the day, alot better than water that will settle on low spots on the deck and help to rust them, good luck

10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought that same 279.00 sears deal.That 3/8 impact is the most useless tool I own.IT takes 3 or 400lbs torque to bust a spindle nut loose.I can put more torque with a tiawan,flee market nuckle buster than a electric one can also.100.00 NORTHERN tool air-cat 600+lbs..buy once and be done.