1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Computer is Making Noise?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mark2, Mar 28, 2002.

1. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

My computer has started making an annoying noise. Sounds like the fan is making a low roaring noise. Kind of like an old refrigerator. I had it cleaned about a year ago. It's a Gateway, about 3 yrs. old.

I thought about kicking it...

Any other suggestions?
  2. The bearing on the fan itself is going or is shot. Simple $9 dollar part to replace.
  3. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

I agree with John, also you can try removing the fan if it has a lot of dust on it and blowing it off with compressed air becareful if you use the unit in the garage..lol usually you can get a can of it at the puter store. its also good for blowing off the keyboard and other stuff
  4. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Careful it is not the processor fan. On some of these newer processors (1GHz or greater) you get about 10 seconds after that processor fan goes then the chip goes. The older machines can go longer and sometimes run without them. That typically wipes the mohterboard as well. I would verify which fan it is, quickly.

5. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Would this sound be similar to a low humming noise? My computer occasionally makes this humming/vibrating noise. Forget about using speaker phone when this happens... it sends a slight vibration throught he floor, into the desk and into the phone.

Fan bearing? I'll check it out, unless you have any other suggestions.
  6. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

If it is the bearing , where can I get a replacement?
  7. anthony

anthony Guest

what my repair guy did was take the cover off and pluged it in and he could see what was maling the noise.
    if it is the fan you just take it off and replace it with a new one.
  8. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Dont let it go too long, burn out a mother board for the previously posted reasons!
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

"It's a Gateway, about 3 yrs. old. "

You know what he is saying.:D

10. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Yeah! I Know! Those are killer commercials.

I would love to have a new puter. Maybe if business keeps looking up I can afford one soon.

I think I would like a Wright Stander, a small tractor, etc. first though.