1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Computer problem

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 29 Palms Property Management, Feb 8, 2006.

1. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if there is a way to reset or completely wipe out a computer and start over by loading the software and programs. I have an older Dell Latitude laptop that I want to use for specifically billing and scheduling and Quickbooks. An on-the-go computer. We just bought a brand new dell desktop for the office, so I want to use the laptop on the road. There are a few errors and some crazy stuff on the laptop and would like to just reload everything. So much on there that I don't want or need. Can any one help? Is this possible to do? Thank you much!
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Re-installing Windows will format your drive.Make sure you back up any files you want to keep onto a cd.You'll have to reload your programs after installing,so you'll need the disks for those.
    If all else fails,open a DOS window and type format C:
    You'll wipe everything out that way.Then just install your Windows OS disk and re-install.
  3. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

reinstalling won't reformat the harddrive. be sure to tell the computer that you want to reformat and not just repair. in most instances you have to go into you the setup screen when windows is booting up and tell the computer that you want to boot from disc (cdrom) after you do that just insert the disk and restart the computer. the computer will tell you to push any key to boot from disk. push any key and it will give you the option to partition and reformat.

what OS are you using?

hope that helps
  4. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Just did a Dell on Friday. Dell usually supplies the drivers for their machine on disc, allowing you to use whatever OS you want and loading their drivers for their hardware.
    worked fine for me.