1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Computer program to remind you what you're doing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DLM155, Jun 4, 2010.

1. DLM155

DLM155 LawnSite Member

(maybe wrong forum? I don't know.)

I've been part time for a while and I've expanded to the point where I made my first real mistake this year- I totally just forgot to cut a bi-weekly property this week. Luckily she is probably the oldest lady on earth and doesn't really care, and was perfectly happy with me cutting it 3 days late.

However, I don't want this to happen again. Do any of you guys use a scheduling program that can maintain a list of properties? Especially one that can keep track of weekly and bi-weekly jobs. The free-er the better.

2. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

3. DLM155

DLM155 LawnSite Member

100$? Is it going to come out on the job with me and trim+blow?

4. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have any computer knowledge and Microsoft Excel just write yourself a spreadsheet. I list all my accounts down column A, and days of the month in the rows left to right. At end of the day I type in how much I made at that job into that day of the month to the right of that account. Using autosum it can then give me a total MTD also. I run 25 accounts this way for years no mistakes. I know that if its the 21st and a biweekly was last cut on the 7th, time to get it done.

I even get creative with it. If I did the job that day and customer wasn't home or they wanted billed, then I color that cell Red to show it wasn't paid. when check comes in I hop on computer and change it back to black.

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i use an excel sheet to track date, time and serviced performed of each customer, I started with a pda then had a laptop and now i use my iphone because my wife stole the laptop when she saw i could do it on phone. I track date , time in/out and have a check box for services performed. It tracks time spent on job adds them up for the year and shows an hourly income which is very useful in comparing accounts .

6. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

I also have a setup like ProMo but on a seperate sheet that is designed to be printed out and I log it in the truck and do the math at end of the day.

7. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you should spend all last month's allowance. :laugh:

8. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

google calander, requires web access but works awsome

9. 2001FZ1

2001FZ1 LawnSite Member

You could use microsoft outlook and sync it to your blackberry. You can make it give you a 1 day, 2 day or what ever kind of reminder you want.

10. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

Lightning is a calendar addon for Thunderbird email. It has reminders and does a great job of keeping track my schedule. You can set up weekly, bi-weekly, monthly customers with a start and end date if you want. It's free and you don't need web access to view your schedule.

Dan