computer programs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gglawns, Nov 4, 2004.

1. gglawns

gglawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

i was very unorganized this year so i was thinking about gettng a programto help. Are they worth getting? If so what is the best one?

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have Lawn Monkey.

With that said I highly recommend checking out Gopher.

I can't wait to switch.

David

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what do you need the organization for you? Scheduling, expenses, payroll, inventory, etc?

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DiscoveryLawn,

Thank you for thinking of us.

Hi gglawns,

Please consider downloading our free fully functional trial version of Gopher from our web site and thank you :)

5. gglawns

gglawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I need organization for all of the above. everything about the business basically. so i am asking which one is the best and most well rounded for the money.

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am currently demoing Quickbooks Simple Start free for 30 days. It is very user friendly and seems to address al of my current needs...

7. billc

billc LawnSite Member

CLIP is a great program. CLIP does scheduling, routing, job costing and has versions that will do invoicing, or you can add it to QuickBooks.

8. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I do not recommend Clip.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

give the pros and cons of it mueller? Because I have been close in the past of almost getting it.

10. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Sure! The simple reason is that Clip has a policy that they will not help their customer unless that customer is current on their ASA support which costs about $300 per year. My understanding is that this is fairly normal with software vendors. I was not current with the ASA as I do not need to be tutored in the operation of their program. My problem with them is that I had an issue with their Credit Card Module (part of their flagship program). This module was creating errors in reports and charging wrong CC numbers with my customers. I had customers who were double charged and others that were missapplied because of errors within the software itself. It does not happen everytime, but enough for me to lose trust with the software.

If I was current on their ASA, I would still have this problem. The differance is that they would have been willing to help. They told me that I was the only user that had this issue.... I was not and I confirmed this!

I am not a computer wiz, but my gut tells me that they do not test their updates and the changes they make to their program properly.

The way they treated me toward the end sealed the deal as far as me finding a new vender.

Of course after it all went down, they have contacted me several times to get more info on the problem because they can't duplicate it on their end....... They are obviously trying to find the cause. But since then I have figured out a "work around" and will be going with a new vender next year.