Computer setup for truck

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by deltascapes, Oct 1, 2006.

1. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

anybody have a suggestion or website for setting up a computer in a vehicle
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

check galls or my local lighting company has them jtech do a search on j tech lighting
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what are you trying to accomplish? just computing? or printing invoices too? I had a wireless printer in my truck (search) running off an inverter. It was the cats ass for closing "easy to quote" deals on the spot. I would pull out the laptop, pop the tailgate down and put all the customers information right into the computer, generate the estimate and print it on the spot, have them sign a copy and collect a down payment on the spot. It's the perfect way to "strike when the iron is hot".

I did take it out over the winter because I didn't want the ink freezing/exploding in my truck. I kept the printer under the backseat of my ext. cab.
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I like that idea. Do you keep the cab pretty clean?

The only thing that scares my about something like that is dust problem. But that might be a South Dakota thing.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i try to keep the truck clean, but it is a work truck, dust happens. It wasn't too bad under the back seat though.

i forgot to mention the best part was the wireless. this meant I wouldn't have to hook up a cable to print it. I could also be in my room/office and print it outside, etc. very handy little setup. The next step is mobile internet, then I can really be "mobile". for the time being I mooch internet off some "hot spots" and the local library has free wifi too.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm preparing to do the same thing. Instead of paying $250 for a small printer though, I purchased a HP all in one for about 100 bucks. It will serve as a printer/copier/armrest. The thing about using the computer in the truck with the steering wheel in the way may be a little issue, but I will deal with it. I thought about it, but I don't want to go drilling holes in the floor for mounting a post. Another thing, I'll probably end up just getting a small (and cheaper)laptop for this. Right now, I have the HP dv8000, and this thing is a beast! It's great having the large screen, the number keypad, and all that, but it is known as what is refered to as a desktop replacement. In other words, not the most portable of laptops.
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

have a laptop that me or my brother will take out on estimates but the printer is still back at the shop
  8. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you thought about using a PDA? With a PDA you could upload your blank estimate and just fill it in with your info. I don't know about the printing but I would guess with some of the new one's with blue tooth that you could print it out wirelessly. There are a lot of free applications out there for PDA's and you may find out this is even easier to use than and laptop in the truck (cheaper too).
  9. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I just did some more checking on it and you can do that with a Palm. Check out the following sites for more info. for the software to do the estimates and to do the printing. After thinking about this, this is the way I am going to go for next year. Thanks for getting me thinking!
  10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

They make a laptop holder that clamps to the tracks under the passenger seat; it points the laptop right at you, so you can also use your laptop as a GPS if you have the right equipment