1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Computer whiz needed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Mar 7, 2009.

1. I no longer have a land line and am trying to do my faxing with a scanner and www.myfax.com. Getting faxes is no problem. Love that part but sending is a problem. For example I needed to initial some documents and fax them back. I have a Brother MFC-7420. The file sizes of scanned documents seems huge and I'm not getting the best way to put them on the computer to allow for multiple page faxing. Bottom line I'm not getting it. Do I scan to IMAGE, or OCR, or FILE? TIFF GIF or JPEG? JPEG seems to create the smallest file. I guess I could send as an e-mail rather than fax. If somebody could be so kind as to explain I'd be greatly appreciative.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If they have an email address, definitely go that route.

If you are scanning text documents, I'd think you would turn them into HTML and send them that way.
  3. I agree with you there but I have to attach each page of a 13 page document. It seems I could just scan as a file and attach the file. Missing something I know but I've learned more stuff here than all my years of computing so I'm sure somebody will guide me.
  4. Wet_Boots

For a presentation, I might turn the text into 'webpage' content by way of adding the proper HTML tags. If these are pages you will be sending on a continuing basis, it will be worth the effort to learn the HTML.

It would also avoid having to use email attachments, which are sometimes never opened, since viruses often attack by way of attachment.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

see if you can scan to PDF. Saving in black and white, rather than color will drastically reduce the file size.
  6. That is what I wanted to do but my scan options are file, OCR, or image. I did set the BW feature on. Scanned images are naturally going to be larger files right?
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I know when I'm adjusting and saving photos in PhotoShop, I get asked which quality size I want. The lower the quality, I assume the lower the file size. Lower file size is used for posting on the web most times.
  8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Peter, I have the exact same Unit from Brother.

Do you have Acrobat Pro?
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Hit the local UPS store , throw the guy a fin and call it sent.
  10. Wet_Boots

PDF files would still have to be sent as attachments.

For people with PCs using Windows, you should be able to copy and paste your text into an email, and have it show like webpage content. The Outlook Express program has a "Rich Text Format" that adds HTML tags.

For Macs, I wouldn't know. For everyone, there are HTML Practice Pads