Computers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mike9497, Dec 23, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

wanted to see what everyone likes using

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gateway does me just fine.

Now don't ask me about RAM, giga bytes, and all that other mumbo, jumbo. I am a compter lizard...not a computer wizard, lol

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

For the business I use an older Compaq Armada 7700 series laptop. It has a first generation pentium chip and 64 megs of RAM. I added a CD drive. Nothing fancy, but I wanted to keep the business completly off the family computer.

4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Only Macintosh. I switched many years ago and will never go back to PC. Much more stable for me. :D

Of course I did desktop publishing for years and the Mac was the standard then. And for graphic design too its wonderful.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Dell pentium III, 450mhz. It's getting old now I'm waiting for january to get a new computer.

Very reliable computer, lots of room for upgrade not a single problem so far in 3 years. I format the hard drive every year tough.

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Dell

Spend about $1500 to $1700 every time we upgrade. So whatever that buys at the time is what we run.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Dell Dimension 8100 with lifetime tech support. I usually upgrade every 3-4 years. Had this one custom built about 1.5 years ago. I usually update every 3-4 years. This is my first Dell and will most likely go with them again.

AztlanLC, why do you format every year. I recently got a virus and had to format HD and it was a pain in the rear. I suppose after you do it a couple of time, it's not that hard. I was just curious what you are accomplishing by this.

Thanks
    MATT

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Compaq Presario 1622 (laptop), PII MMX, 96 MB RAM, recently upgraded to 98SE OS.

Compaq Presario desktop ('build to order'), with 800Mhz PIII, 512MB RAM, 30 Gig HD. Runs ME.

We have a Toshiba Paperweight, Infinia 7133, PI 133 Mhz, but my favorite is:

My self-built PC - AMD Athlon 2100+, 80 gig HD, 1.5G RAM, 2XCDRW, Zip drive, internal flash card reader, floppy drive, 6 USB ports (2xUSB2.0, 4XUSB1.1). This one runs XP home. After the experience of building this one, I'll never buy a mfg one again. This was extremely easy to build, I was able to build a real powerhouse, and did it for $200-500 less than what it'd cost me to get a similar machine made by Dell, Gateway or others. Total cost for this machine? About $1,300. And if I'd have been more patient, I could've done it for about $100-150 less than that.

Crazygator, if you wanted to come back to a PC, a new one with XP loaded would be a good choice. My ME machine crashes all the time - rebooting is just a way of life with that one. But my XP machine, self-built, self-installed, has yet to lock or crash in the month and a half of almost constant use it's received so far. Very sturdy and reliable. And with so many drivers, you rarely need peripheral software.

All are sharing internet with a Linksys wireless router with 4 port switch. The laptop is wireless, and I can surf from anywhere within about 150' of my house.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I was at Walmart last night and noticed the XP Home cost about $200. This might detour some people to not build their own unless you already have an OS on disk, or have a friend that would be so kind to let you "borrow" their's. I know enough, or could learn enough about computers to probably build my own, but it would be the loading of the software that would give me the biggest problems. I would rather spend more energy either on my business or on lawnsite rather fighting computer problems. This is the main reason I went with a Dell and upgraded to the extended tech support.

Good luck on your decision
    MATT

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Now using locally assembled PC clones with name brand components. Less than $600 gets you a heck of a machine. Monitor not included.