Comunity improvement project

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have been approached by a local elementary school to help improve the visual appeal of the grounds. They are offering more than 20 volunteers once a month for labor, Home Depot will provide all of the supply's (mulch, fert, irrigation parts and plants).This school is 3-4 years old and the irrigation system was shut down due to lack of funds to maintain. The county does the mowing and that is it...for 3-4 YEARS!

My fert/pest and irrigation subcontractors have agreed to help and donate their equipment (3 tank trucks, 6 powered spreaders and 6 backpack sprayers, basically everything we would need)

We will start by defining and weeding the beds then pruning and replacement of dead/thin plants. While the second group tackles the irrigation. And once that is complete everyone apply the fert/apps. Myself and my subs will help the project along by donating our time on the first sat morning of each month to oversee the volunteers.

And we even have breakfast provided by the Waffle House.

Now there is no compensation for myself or my subs this is a community project and it is only my time that is lost for a good cause.

Now for your input, What do you feel are the pro's and con's (aside from liability) of being involved with this project.

Also the school will have a full page about this project with credit to myself and the subs in the yearbook, and a press release will also be issued.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Tbarchaser,

It sounds like a great idea. People in the community get a chance to see how involved you are! Good for you! :)

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

What liability

Your volunteering...............

Sounds like a wonderfull project and nice how they have so much involvment.

Myself, we do that kind of thing as often as we can.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

SOUNDS LIKE AN EXCELLENT ADVERTISEMENT OPPORTUNITY. I WOULD JUMP ON THAT FAST. AT SOME POINT OR ANOTHER EVERYONE IN THE COMMUNITY WILL GET TO SEE YOUR WORK.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If you can handle dealing with Harry homeowner and that is your biggest problem then you are set. This is a great thing to do (helping the community) and will hopefully land you some paying jobs as a result. They will be a lot of your time eaten up in this project but hopefully the results will be worth it.

Gravely_Man

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Sounds like a great idea, I would go for it

7. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

The town that i live has a day where people in the community clean up all of the leaves in the park. I planned on taking all of my stuff and helping out just so the people can see my work and get my name out there. I know in the past that they just used rakes and it took them days to do it all and i could cut that down alot.

8. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

See if they will let you put up as sign at the school to advertise. It is your community - go for it.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Great showcase for your work,it can only improve your image and presence in the community.Good for you!

10. I have to say that I personaly would try to jump on the project without the subs.

Just my opinoin