1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

con artists

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn jockey, Aug 12, 2001.

1. lawn jockey

lawn jockey LawnSite Member

I had a call from 1 of my accounts yesterday she is an older widow in her 80's I basically do this lawn for free, she has cleaned for my mother at her hair salon since I was a baby,her husband had worked at the local hardware all his life no retirement . She does'nt havee much money. Well her neighbors have been remodeling and had a tree service remove a few tree's so she call's me up and says the guy stopped over and told her that she needed to have her 2 60' oak trees needed to come down and he would only charge her $1000.00 to remove them!they are 2 of the nicest looking trees around! I told her to tell him to If he knew his line of work well enough then he would know the trees a perfect! needless to say he left pissed off! People like this piss me off:angry: There is enough work out there to make $ fair and honest without screwing old ladies out of money.(oh buy the way this is the second time he came over to her) I dont know but I think we should take care of are older community their the only reason half of us are where we are today!!!!! SORRY maybe I just needed to blow offf some steam
  2. i hate when people say to cut down a tree for no reason at all. i could understand if they were over the house or had cavities or something. but just to make a quick buck... it isnt worth it. that is a cheap price by the way- if that is wood / chips go.
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

The world is full of all types. I agree with taking care of our communities, which has many elderly. I also applaude you for taking care of this woman. I hate to see them taking advantage of by a quick buck idiot. Ya know, someday we will all be old, and what goes around comes around. If we can stop, or discourage the majority of the con artist's, then we will all be better off. By the way, is this idiot legal? Insurance? Also have you called the better business bureau on him? Might be a good idea!
  4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I hate people like that, how can they live with themselves? I have a customer who just lost her husband two weeks ago. That same week she had 2 separate calls from people asking if she wanted to sell her house now that she was a widow. Man, thats disrespectful. I still dont know if it was a COMPLETE con artist scam, or if it was some morons just thinking they might be able to get a good deal on a decent house.
  5. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Jockey, glad to see you watching out for that lady. If she wants, she could get paid some good money for those oaks.
  6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

I too always believe in doing what is right and looking out for other people. However, Im sure your familiar with the phrase "no good deed goes unpunished"

You are now on the hook for those trees should they fall down due to any defect in that tree. When you hold yourself out as a professional and make statements to that effect you can later be held accountable in todays slimy world of legal jurisprudence.

I attended a seminar a couple years ago about determining trees hazards and the instructor spoke very clearly about the subject of liability.

One example he cited was:

Tree service called in to do work on the back yard trees. Guy comes in does the tree work and leaves all is well. A short time later a weakend branch/tree falls onto the house in the front yard. The homeowner sued and won because the court determined that the tree guy should have noticed the defect because he was on the property even though he was not asked or consulted about those trees.

Its kinda like the guy that goes for training to learn CPR. Once he starts CPR on a stranger, he is obligated to stay there until relieved by someone such as a cop or emt or until you pass out trying to help that guy.

Lawyers gotta love em HUH????
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

You want to see con artists, come down here!!! It's horrible how the elderly are taken advantage of here.

8. Waalllll........that depends. White oak, yes. Red oak.....probably cost more to have the boards sawn than to buy new ones at the lumberyard.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The price he was going to charge was pretty cheap for the going rate of trees in my area that size. But none of us would have any idea whether the trees needed cutting or not because we cant see them and if I would see them I wouldnt know LOL cause I aint a tree man. But we get lots of limbs and trees falling on peoples house around here especially after storms, heathy trees or not.
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I will never prune an improperly pruned tree. If someone tops a tree, I always tell them that it is better to just remove it. If they say that they rather have it pruned, I tell them that they have to find someone else to (butcher), I mean prune their tree.