Concensus on the Strato-charged, C4, Etc.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qwaller, Sep 23, 2007.

1. qwaller

qwaller LawnSite Member

Narrowed my picks for blower to Redmax or Shindaiwa. Any opinions on how the newer tech 2-strokes are doing long term such as the Strato and C4. Should I just stay old school proven high emission 2-stroke?
  2. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Go with the shindaiwa you can't go wrong. I have the the C4 blower it is very powerful a little heavy but is a solid and strong blower.
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have seen too many threads regarding troubles with 4mix, c4, and the like. Seems they usually involve valve trouble. When you are spending that kind of money, you want to be sure of what you are getting. For me, I will stick with the traditional stuff until they improve on these new designs.
  4. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

These arent new designs...especially Stratafied engines. They were invented back in the sixties and seventies and just werent ever really pushed until now. Strato charged engines are great fro scavenging loss. The newer 4 mixes seem to have all the bugs worked out of them.
  5. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

i totally agree. if you get on here and look alot then that will be your final conclusion. go with the redmax or something thats long time tried and solidly proven. to me,theres nothing solid about the 4 mixes.
  6. qwaller

qwaller LawnSite Member

If not mistaken, the Strato engines have no valvework to speak of. I was kind of leaning towards the EBZ7001(Strato) if I can't find an EB7001. I really wanted to keep the weight under the 20 pound area and the newer motors seem to add weight? Maybe this is just minutia but It's a lot of money to plunk down and I would like to have as little trouble as I can with equipment.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The strato-charged engines are simply a pure old piston port 2-cycle engine.
    Not even a reed valve, much less an intake or exhaust valve.
    Just plain old 2 stroke.

What makes the strato-charged engines "a better mouse trap" is all in how they are ported for intake and exhaust.

They are much more fuel efficient because they waste less fuel... and they are lower emissions because they aren't blowing that wasted fuel out the exhaust.

The RedMax EBZ blowers are great.

That C-4 Shindawia engine is a '4-mix' type engine... a hybrid...
    Basically it is a 4 cycle engine designed to run off of and lubricate on mix gas.

I will not talk bad about these engines... but I have been lucky.
    The jury is still out.
  8. qwaller

qwaller LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I think I am leaning further toward the EBZ7001 Strato now and just live with it being 2 pounds heavier and a little louder. Somehow the blowing numbers are better on paper but the horsepower is less on the Z, Can't figure that one out.