Concern about SNow mold in jersey

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Is any one worried in jersey or surronding area about snow mold if you have already started rnd 1? I started this week, now they are talking of the possibilities of a couple inches. Any thoughts?
    -Jay

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We have lots of snow mold in Michigan. Worse on some ryegrass lawns. Potential snow became rain.

Round 1 with crabgrass control starts on the 19th probably.

3. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

I am in SE PA and not too worried.

Then again, how much N are you putting down in round 1. I am only putting down .2 lbs/M.

The N you are putting down is not taken up by the plants yet. If the plants where charged full of N they would be more susceptible.

Also, I am assuming you know that you don't need snow cover for snow mold to occur?

Mark

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Very accurate with the N statement. It's just going to sit there until the turf breaks dormancy anyway. The bigger concern with N is going into winter, not as much coming out of winter. Yo don't want lush turf under snow cover for extended periods. A weekend snow that melts as quickly as it came isn't going to cause many problems. Any grey snow mold you were going to get you'd already see from under the snow pack. The worst conditions for pink snow mold is cold rain and cloudy, damp days. We have had pink snow mold well into the middle of May during those wet springs.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

a couple years ago i started doing first apps and 2 weeks into it we got a few inches of snow that stuck around for about 10 days or so. After the thaw a handful of lawns had what looked like pink snow mold, but if we do get any snow tomorrow it wont stay but a day or 2. Also, I'm only doing about .4 on the N. Thanks
    -Jay