Concrete as Base for Pavers?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ccla, Jul 10, 2003.

1. ccla

ccla LawnSite Member

Good or bad idea?

2. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

Not a good idea, the key to laying pavers and retaining walls is drainage, if you lay ontop of conctete the run off has no place to go. Stick with 4-5 inches of perk pack, and 1" of mason sand, then lay yor pavers, compact and sweep mason sand over it, remember your edging, alot of jobs I have seen lately had no retaining edge, which will look ok for a few years but, in time will pull apart. Like anything you do in life, you get what you pay for, do yourself a favor and do it right the first time.

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I think a search here would show some different bases being used. As for the mason sand ................showes a newbie again!

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Mason sand will work but a pure fine sand is the best. Pavers are designed to have give with temp change and freezing conditions. Concrete base would defeat the purpose of why pavers are so long lasting

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Another newbie speaks, masons sand is too fine for the pavers to lock, thats why they are called interlocking! Washed concrete sand is the right sand to use. Again a search n this site would give you lots of information. Pavers can and are installed every day over concrete, the only difference is it costs more to do it or there are other reasons, like covering parking garages, air port runways etc.

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul's right. There are some different factors to consider when installing over concrete. First, be certain to use not more than an 1 - 1 1/2" of washed concrete sand for the bedding. Second, on some structures, drainage has to be provided which may necessitate using fabric in some areas to retain the bedding sand. Third, an open edge (soldier course) may need be be retained. Glue is one solution for that.

I suppose that one way of looking at the rationale for laying pavers over concrete is that it provides a much richer look than poured concrete and the pavers hide the cracks and imperfections that develop in poured concrete. We are seeing lots of plans using pavers on roof gardens.

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you can install pavers over concrete and also asphault I am talking about setting them right in concrete not on top of. Then of course you would have your 1" bedding sand on top of the concrete and or any other base you may have. You wouldnt set pavers right in the concrete would you?

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

ccla,
    It's important for you and those giving their opinions to remember where you're located.
    I'm in NW La. and still experience sinking sand.
    Remember guys, we can't even bury people 'in' the ground here, the caskets get pushed back up.
    A soft base of any kind just will not stay put.
    Concrete has been about the only permanent (lasting) solution I've found in our area. Keep drainage in mind and provide for it, but there's no reason concrete won't work. The larger (and longer) the project, the more substantial the base needs to be, thickness and reinforcing.

9. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

In Phoenix we do a ton of overlays, overlaying exsting concrete with pavers, but we have no freeze-thaw to conctend with.

Mason sand is out for bedding sand. However, it is okay to use it as jointing sand per ICPI guidelines. Most installers stick to the concrte sand, that way they have one less "ingredient" or material on site.

ICPI-take a class in your area sometime. It will really help you understand why we use certain "ingredients" in certain measurenments and why we do things a certain way. Consider the ICPI class an investment in your company's future.

Peace,

Rex Mann

ICPI Certified Instructor

10. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we see it here all the time. Using a construction glue (outdoor type) and glue them down to the (usually old concrete walk or patio) concrete and then sand them in. The sanding lets the water drain away.
    It is not done this way with new install just refreshing an old area.