Concrete base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Joe Cement, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Joe Cement

Joe Cement LawnSite Member

Iam new to this forum but not to the industry. I don't understand why most of you guys are against concrete for your base. Everyone I know here in NY pour 4" base with wire or fiber and we have no problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in WI the building codes state that concrete is a permanent structure and requires permits and must be built to a standard.

3. Joe Cement

Posted via Mobile Device

4. Joe Cement

That's interesting. If you were to install a paver patio on concrete base you would need a permit? As opposed to a stone base no permit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Concrete base for what flag or pavers? Around here most jobs are dry laid due to when you tell people they need a concrete base for a flagstone patio they just say "well I guess we'll just due a concrete patio". Pavers are designed to flex so why ad the extra cost of a concrete base?

6. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

The WI Administrative Code (UDC) has absolutely nothing in it that pertains to construction of exterior hardscapes, other than railings & steps. Sorry.

7. Joe Cement

There is no extra cost as to installing concrete base opposed to RCA. The time you save is equal to your concrete cost. Less excavation also. We install concrete base for all stone or paver installs
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Our local tells me if its concrete its permenant, thus needing a permit.

9. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

Ask him to see the standards, because it must be a local thing. It's not really a big deal to pull a permit either, usually well under $100, which is minimal considering the cost of the overall job.

Still have to say I find it odd to need a permit, I've never ran into it for a patio of any kind (I'm a concrete/masonry contractor) that didn't sit on a foundation hooked to the house in SE WI in the past 20+ years.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The main intent of interlocking pavers is that they can *float* with the ground. (Heaving)

I am against a concrete base, as there are two types of concrete:
    a) Concrete that has cracked
    b) Concrete that IS going to crack.