Concrete base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Joe Cement, Feb 7, 2011.

1. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

that little saying really irritates me, because 90% of the time folks dont have any idea why concrete cracks, or how to control cracking.

cracked concrete is not necessarily bad concrete, and a cracked slab (shrinkage) is still structurally sound because of aggregate interlock.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Oh I believe most folks do understand gravity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

There are some folks on here that understand this and have the same beliefs, you just need to look deep in some of these threads to find their work. I think most of them who have done it just get sick of arguing with those who haven't that it can't possibly be done successfully.

So what...........................

..............and who cares??????????

4. Joe Cement

Joe Cement LawnSite Member

Even if and when the concrete cracks or heaves in the winter the pavers are not going to be affected. When a concrete base is prepared right the shrinkage cracks will not effect your pavers
    As far as heaving the same rise I have seen with aggregate base installs. When the ground thaws in spring everything is back to normal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Joe Cement

I forgot to mention I think most view concrete base as bad bc they listen ICPI like it is the bible. One reason why the ICPI recommend aggregate as base is to allow more different people and homeowners to be able to install it. People with less experience in the business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. MexicanAmerican1

MexicanAmerican1 LawnSite Member

I don't prefer concrete because I see it crack, spall, etc. For you guys that install concrete, how do you warranty against spalling and cracking?

7. Joe Cement

We have a great warranty here against all that cracking. The name of the warranty is tail light guarantee. I am joking with that. We explain to customers that concrete will crack due to freeze thaw cycles here in NY. However with that said we might have a few calls for hairline cracks in the spring. But when we prepare the base and expansion joints the way we do ,pour a 4000 psi with fiber and 8 gauge roadmesh reinforcement. It greatly helps. So we make it known to customer that we are taking preventive measures to limit cracking and spalling. Also advice customer to keep there concrete watered for at least 15 days after the pour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. MexicanAmerican1

MexicanAmerican1 LawnSite Member

Sound pretty standard Joe, but what do you do if it actually cracks or spalls?

9. Joe Cement

Posted via Mobile Device

10. Joe Cement

When it happens ill take a ride to c the complaint and bring the contract with me and show them that they signed on the clause saying concrete can crack etc. Iam totally protected.
    Posted via Mobile Device