Concrete base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Joe Cement, Feb 7, 2011.

1. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

80,000 pounds, unless you have an overweight permit. Again, it's a state numbered highway.

2. Joe Cement

Joe Cement LawnSite Member

I have a simple ? Here for everybody that's talking bout concrete failing due to corrision of reinforcement. Have you guys ever done demolition of reinforced slabs street curbs or even simple driveways. If your going to say yes. Think of this. When you were pulling your curbs apart or flatwork and lifting it up with let's say an excavator. I bet u had to torch or cut into sections bc what was holding it all together after u broke it. The REINFORCEMENT. So if the reinforcement fails like some are arguing why are we cutting it. It sounds like the steel should just be all broking now. Some people seem to look at this topic like we are building a high rise. The rebar when I demo looks beauiful. If I could salvage it I would save it and use it on my own home. Just think about what I said here and maybe people will realize something.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a Ford vs Chevy thread! Some believe in concrete and some don't. I hate concrete but I'll still pour a drive or a patio if the budget is to low for pavers. Concrete is quick cash and has it's place, but it has to many variables that I just can't deal with. I did concrete for 3 years and it is one of those things that just gets under my skin when you get a hot load or the finishers are hung over and moving like a turtle etc etc. As agreed there are pros and cons to both sides, but I'm a Ford man. :)

4. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

Really Dude? Are you kidding?

5. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

What do you do when it heaves....because it will

6. Joe Cement

Kidding with what. Iam a mason contractor not a comedian
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Joe Cement

Well iam second generation in this and either me who have been on my own for 10 years now has not had a problem or my father who's got over 30 years in. I'm not really understanding you. I think maybe you are a landscaper who got into hardscaping and you might not understand some things.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The ground will infact heave where winter is present. Anything on the ground's surface will move. It all may float peacefully. Or it may crack from the heaving. Unless you have frost footers, piers, etc - she's gonna move.

In terms of dry set pavers bedded in sand over concrete.....the heaving most likey wont harm anything.

Rebar and proper use of wire is everything.

Multi-level parking decks are built entirely of concrete and rebar.

In europe most buildings are constructed entirely of concrete and rebar.

But......this does not mean starting next week all my jobs will be placed on a concrete slab. Aggregate bases have their place.

And concrete slabs really are supposed to be installed over an aggregate base. So by the time you install the base for a concrete slab, then pour concrete, you're doing twice the work.