Concrete Curbing Experience

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AWJ Services, Nov 26, 2007.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have read through most of the previous posts and I have a few questions.

How hard is it to prep the ground first and what have you found to be the best at doing the prepping.

They sale the Turn key set ups but do you really need all that they offer in them.

What brand did you use and what were the negatives about it.

Why would you not get into this buisness.

Thanks agin.

2. Littletruck

Littletruck LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Not many curbers around here, I too have looked here. I am going to start doing this in the spring. But here is some of what I have learned so far. Ground prep is nill, just be on the dirt and not the grass. You may need a sod cutter to get the ground flat if you are working in a yard, but in new construction you just need to flat shovel the ground. For big jobs you may need a $od cutter, a good one is $2500.

As far as turn key kits go, I just dont get some of the outrageous prices, they want $140 for a stamp I can make in my garage? And dont get me started on the $5000 curbers?

As far as why not to get into this, the costs are way overpriced and I think there is a reason you see entire used kits on Ebay and in crags list all the time. For the money they want for the kit the time and lineal feet it takes for the ROI is extensive.

3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Thanks Littletruck.

We are taking a beating with this drought here so I am just looking for income that will not be affected by watering bans.

4. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

I went with www.tygarmfg.com They had pretty good training. The equipment is $$$$. I ended up spending 23,500 but I went all out. The good thing is, its diff then mowing lawns. Its not somthing people can do themselves. So it keeps the market good.

5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldn't there be a base underneath the concrete? Woudn't it break in the winter?

Adam

6. Littletruck

Littletruck LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

No, there is not much base under a sidewalk either...

These can heave if they really need to, it takes a bit it is usually root structure doing the heaving.. but if you use enough control joints they will break there and you will just need to remove the offending soil or root underneath and reset it. Tree rings should be larger than most installers think going on what I have seen around here.