Concrete Curbing - Worth the investment?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by blueplate, Jan 24, 2008.

1. blueplate

blueplate LawnSite Member

I've been looking into doing concrete curbing (edging). Looks like a 20K - 25K investment. Is anyone got any feedback on this? I'm in the Northeast and doesn't seem like many people are doing it.

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

I would put concrete curbing right up there with....... concrete curbing. I'm sorry, but it looks like junk to me, especially if you have any sort of a freeze/thaw cycle. If any of you curbing guys are out there, (where the ground freezes) please prove me wrong.

4. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

I curb ALL YEAR ROUND in FL. So I dont know much about curbing in freezing temperatures. I have curbed in the winter here and it was about 40 degrees.

Not a problem at all.

To answer the OP question, I bought my equipment new from Tygar, out of GA. With trailer, equipment, mixer, color, etc etc, I was at 24k total. Keep in mind, I went all out and got what I needed. Did not waste money on the marketing package from them which is a rip off and didnt buy the curb lighting etc.

Its a good business, I do other things also but the curb keeps us pretty busy. On a good size job, you can make 1000+ net profit in 1.5 days. Not bad if you ask me. I run me and 1 other guy. I might get somone else to take over my position but dont really care either way.

A nice curb really adds alot to the landscaping. Looks great if done right.

5. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

blueplate, when you say "concrete curbing" do you mean mixing up concrete at the jobsite and trowelling to the edges of the pavement? Then the answer is just don't do it, especially in Massachusetts because of the freeze/thaw issues previously mentioned (Florida should be OK).

Pre-cast concrete units often available through paver manufacturers? Absolutely, just make sure you lap up geotextile between the bedding sand and the pre-cast curbs themselves to prevent migration of the sand.

6. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't work good here they come and go 8 years later it comes back. The freeze kills it.

7. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Tom B. about the freeze thaw issues and "curb appeal" :rolleyes: Here in the North East a "slip form" curb for landscapes would not weather our seasons well. The expansion joints spacing would need to be shortened to the point that cost and life would would be affected.

I think the concrete slip form curb systems are a beautiful alternative to asphalt curbing on road and parking lot edges. With the proper base prep.

In the southern states concrete landscape curbing fits with trends and consumer demand. In the Northern states (at least New England) I think you would be wasting your money on the equipment. Here in the North East, if concrete work is something that you would like to add to your services. Train your crew in stamped concrete for patio's, walks and driveways.

Just my 2cents,

Tom

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If you live in a climate where freezing a thawing occur your going to have to prep the area and apply a base material below the freeze line before laying your concrete. I've seen some of the jobs that were just done a couple years ago around here that are already cracking. From what I've seen around here all they do is cut a layer of sod off and start laying the edging. I wouldn't waste your money on concrete curbing unless your going to take the time to put base under the concrete curbing. Just wait, in the next few years we will all be talking about all the law suites going on over cracked and crumbling concrete curbing that was all the rage back in the day.

9. LawnsM

LawnsM LawnSite Member

Good question! I was also wondering the same thing. Stamped concrete curbing seems to be increasingly popular around here (Indiana). It does freeze, but people are still doing it. There are companies (ie "Curb Appeal") that specialize just in this aspect of landscaping. Is it a wise investment for those who experience a little bit of both (warm & freezing temperatures)? It doesn't look like it would be hard to implement, I am really thinking about adding it to my arsenal of services. Is it a good idea?:confused:

10. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

one of my buddies started with curbing here in central IL, he kept telling me about how it wouldnt heave like the brick dose, i put ca6 under my brick edging, its how i was taught and it seems to handle the freez thaws much better than with out, but any way i finaly had a client that really wanted it so i subed it out to him, after seeing it done, it is no better that if you just laid bricks on a very thin layer of mortar right on top of the ground, and yes i got a call 3 years after it was done to come back and put in my brick edging. he has done very well with his curbing and still dose it but has moved more into concrete counter tops, and stamping or etching concrete. its a very profitable business if you can stay busey with it. just make sure you understand what your product will do in your area, what they guys tell you that sell the equipment may be true in there area but remember that they ARE trying to sell you something. I wouldnt tell you not to do it, its very profitable but just remember to your homework