Concrete curbing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Frontier-Lawn, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

what company do you recommend i go with?
    Kwik Kerb
    or
    Tygar

I'm thinking on adding some other money producers for 2008 and this is one idea i have, also how (i know bad idea but i have no choice on this matter) easy would it be to get a silent partner {possible client(s) with money} to put up the $ to buy into this granted they can double there capital back in a year, and how would i go about selling this idea to them.

Please Help since this #1 on the idea list that will make the most $ with least costs to operate.

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Why is Lil Bubba not in the running?

They have an open house a few times a year..... definitely worth a look.

The KK machine is junk compared to Bubba's EP machine.
    I have not inspected or used a Tygar.

Another thing to note..... If you buy a used KK machine (edgemaster); you will not be able to buy replacement parts or accessories until you pay $500 for training. ( I told 'em to stick it )

The KK system only uses 1 style of trowel.... not fun; makes for more hand finishing.
    Bubba uses 3 trowels. Full, half, and corner....... Makes corners and tight radius a breeze when you have the right tools.

I recommend buying a used setup, but make sure the OEM will support you without a line of BS. Also look into location. Most of the stuff I get from Bubba comes next day via standard UPS. (and they're great people to deal with)

If you just can't help it and wind up with KK.......I need some extra trowels.:)

FWIW.... Lots of people like the curb..... but "sticker shock" is a harsh reality when trying to make the sale. You can usually sort 'em out pretty quick with a $300 minimum.

3. Frontier-Lawn

i knew there was one more company out there, just could not remeber it.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

This is probably not what you are looking for... sorry in advance! Why not learn to do irrigation installs and repairs? No capital investment needed. There is a great site on the internet that you can learn virtually everything for a residential system. I would think there would be much more demand for irrigation than curbing. I started doing irrigation work a couple of years ago... this year I have done over 70k just in irrigation. The great thing is it takes no creativity! Food for thought!

5. Frontier-Lawn

in fl you have to be licensed from the state i hear, and go to school for it i think.

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

As a professional irrigator, all I can say is that I wish it were that easy.

A LOT of places have some pretty stringent licensing requirements, etc.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Where I am from, all you have to have is a low voltage license. I would think it would be easier to get a simple license than find investors for a curbing machine.

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Last time I checked into it, FL does not have a irrigation license, the counties pick up that responsibility.
    The requirements are the same as you would find for any state contractor license though. (Indian River) 2yr Field exp. + 1 yr Foreman exp. School can sub for field exp.
    Repairs are OK as long as you don't modify the existing system.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I remember it.

There is no way to get in without working for someone else first. Most civilized counties probably have similar procedures.

Back to curb.....

Make sure you get a mortar mixer, not a cement mixer. The dry mix does not work well in a drum and you have to run about 1/2 capacity to keep things mixing.
    Materials are heavy, a tandem trailer with brakes is damn near a necessity. My Dakota is running over max capacity when heading to a larger job. (the 14' HD dump trailer doesn't help..... 9600# T&T, empty)
    Finished curb is a touch over 16 lb/ft + waste + extra materials + equipment + etc.
    If at all possible get a selection of stamps & rollers; 90% of my work is colored and stamped/rolled. You will have a product that is much more appealing.

When it sells, the money is good...... but it is some tough work and the rain can stick it to ya with a quickness.

9. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Do bushhogging instead.

10. Bplandcurbing

Bplandcurbing LawnSite Member

I would talk to curb mate. We bought their products last year after talking to kwik kerb who was alot more expensive. On curbing up here it is a fairly new product but catching on and we get anywhere from 5-9 dollars per lineal foot. So it is a great money maker.