1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Concrete Curbing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Border Guy, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Border Guy

Border Guy LawnSite Member
    from NC

Just wanted to find out what everyones take is on concrete landscape edging. Would you take an opportunity to make a decent profit on subbing out for this service without investing in the equipment and materials? Do you see it as a threat or an additional service to ad for your customers.

2. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

We looked into it and were very impressed with it. I like it, some others here didn't seem to on the last thread I saw.

Todd

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

concrete doesn't belong in the landscape in my opinion. perhaps it could be used for municipal or commercial properties

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I have stated here before, and will stand by it still: Concrete edging has NO place in a residential landscape. Not only does it look tacky (just like red mulch), it makes future bed expansion difficult and costly.

I'm not even sure I would use it in a commercial application either.

Dan

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I just don't know what the purpose of it is. What could it possibly offer that the other edging materials don't already? I can just see that stuff moving in the soils and cracking all over. To properly prepare a base for it around twisting landscape beds and to have it provide better results than natural edging, plastic edging, or brick edging, I just don't see it.

6. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

i like it...have had it on one of my previous houses. It doesn't way nothin and its self supporting...so you don't have to make a base...just remove sod. Very sturdy and hardy...perfect for triming...mulch doesn't get flung everywhere. Dies can be added to the concrete to make it match the landscape. adds a contemporary feel to the landscape.

And whats wrong with red mulch? lol jk

7. Trim Creations

Trim Creations LawnSite Member
    from Ks

I do a lot of curbing. Residential, and commercail just finished puting in 2276.ft at a golf coures. to keep on the cart path