Concrete disposal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Mar 24, 2002.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what the rest of you guys do to get rid of concrete that you remove when putting in a sidewalk, walk way or patio, or drive... I have heard of some guys just breaking it up and then putting it under the base ? I have just been getting a dumpster brought in to have it hauled away.. So what do you guys do ?
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Recycle, all old concrete is shipped off to a recycle plant or our yard, depending on the size of the job and recycled.

The guy that supplies the dumpster takes it to be recycled ...
  4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

We take all our concrete, asphalt... etc. to the Riverdale Quarry. Jump on the scale, dump it, and away you go.

What do they charge ?? per ton ?? Riverdale, or Rivervale ?? I am paying like $400. for a 12 yard dumpster.. So that adds to the cost of the jobs or takes it out of my end of the profit.. So If this quarry is reasonable it may be worth the trip ? Just need a bigger truck , Hopfully this year I'll be able to get an F700 or something along those lines ?? We shall see what the drought and economy bring us this year...
  6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Holy smoke!!

Get yourself a truck! There are all kinds of things that can be done once you have a larger truck like the one you mention. For that same volume of concrete (12 yards, or approx 15 tons), we pay about $75 to dump it at a quarry.

Back in the Detroit area, There were recycling plants that would take it for free, but it'd have to be inspected first to make sure it was free of junk.
  7. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Get a Truck man. We have a Company here in the next town over that runs a concrete recycling plant they charge us $25.00 for a F350 truckload and $50.00 for a Gmc 7500 not by weight by the load. Also we get our recycled stone there for underlayment the price is $5.00 per ton, they also have 3/4 clean (recycled no gruanlar) for $6.00 per ton, we use this for filling the retaining walls. heck of a savings there clean 3/4 stone from the quarry cost $27.00 per ton.
  8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

For me to dump that (12) yards of concrete as you talked about would cost about $120.00 or so.... the quarry gets i believe $5.00 a ton on incoming concrete.
  9. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Grinnel recycling up here in sussex charges $10 a ton. Also, I believe Weldon charges $75 a single axle load and 150 a tandem.

Can't recall what riverdale charges though.........I went there once with my dump trailer with a bunch of scraps and a old walk after finishing a job. I weighed in, dumped and then went back to the scale.

After waiting in those LONG lines, the guy at the scale laughed at me when he saw I only was like 9000lbs and said 'get out of here your clogging up the works!" and let me go for free.

You get no respect driving around in a mason dump, never the less a pickup and dump trailer, at place like that!

DUdes.... I am paying $30.oo a ton for QP / road base, and same for clean gravel..... WOW>>>>>>>

Time to do some serious research on places to bring this stuff and a new truck... Cause my 250HD isnt gonna handle more than 2 tons pushing it !

Thanks for all these replies,,, Now I feel worse.. LOL.....