Concrete finisher question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawnMaster5000, Dec 5, 2011.

?

Please let me know what you would do

  1. There is nothing wrong

    85.7%
  2. use a different concrete guy next time

    14.3%
  3. make them tear it out and repour

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SVA_Concrete

    SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 467

    what was the purpose of the "curb" to begin with... and i use the term curb loosely. i keep thinking, WHY??
     
  2. DVS Hardscaper

    DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,406

    Word to that. I agree 100%.

    I have a client with a home situated very similar to the home in the pictures. Years ago they had a concrete driveway installed. Same scenerio, had to make sure water could only go to one direction - towards the street.

    so the concrete guy made say the center 4' wide, level from side to side.

    He then made both sides (say each side is 4' wide, total driveway width of 12') so that the outside edges were maybe 3-inches higher than the center.

    No curbing.

    Basically a driveway with wings, so to speak. It looks REALLY GOOD. And it works exactly as intended. I'd be happy to draw a picture if anyone is having a hard time envisioning it.

    That architect that the topic creator referenced is a complete bird brain and has no business meddeling in civil engineering. :hammerhead:



    .
     
  3. TomG

    TomG LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 675

    All I can imagine is the customer backing out there driveway around the corner at the top in their new sports car... or even a sedan for that matter... and backing over the 8" curb and getting hung up. Yikes!

    In my experience concrete guys and asphalt guys never do back-filling along the edges of their work. As it was said before they work with concrete and asphalt not dirt/topsoil.
     
  4. bigslick7878

    bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 809

    Build a little wall as a buffer if you cant raise the grade of the lawn. Wrap the shrubs all the way down the side inside the wall and connect them to the existing beds.
     
  5. SimonCX

    SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 729

    I've seen the same thing, most concrete or asphalt guys just leave it and don't back fill which I never understood because it's like doing 95% of a job and leaving the last 5%. Personally I would be worried someone backing up gets distracted and a wheel goes over the edge. As for the slab for the hot tub if you have 3/8 of water in the middle then they screwed up, there should not be standing water in the middle.
     
  6. zedosix

    zedosix LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,628

    I must be getting old and blind, I just noticed the curb on the left side of the driveway, damn, what was the intention of that????
     
  7. alexschultz1

    alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,555

    nooo idea, you should have graded it toward the center to drain out, water doesnt travel uphill :laugh:
     
  8. CALandscapes

    CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 946

    Agreed that the curb is pretty scary looking. Strange that the architect would spec that...

    Anyway, the OP seems to be looking for a solution... Why not put a smooth finish on the side of it with a mortar scratch coat or stucco? That'll resolve the problem.

    Regarding the hot tub pad; looks like the concrete crew screwed that one up. Have them pull it up and replace. If they don't, do it yourself (or hire someone else to do it) and consider it a lesson learned...
     
  9. joes169

    joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI
    Posts: 236

    As a concrete contractor myself, I'd personally say YES, he should have known that the edge was going to be exposed, and it would ideally match the rest of the visable (driving) surface. We would undoubtedly strip it wet & finish it right away, as it's the easiest and best time to do so.

    To complete it now, look into a product similar to what SVA linked to.

    As for "why" the curb is there, I'll go out on a limb and assume that there's some sort of animosity between the two neighbors and one of them has a water problem in their basement....................
     
  10. DVS Hardscaper

    DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 6,406

    so what joes is saying is:
    there's nothin like a lawn guy and a landscape designer dabbeling in concrete work.
     

Share This Page