1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Concrete Slab Removed??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by KrayzKajun, Jan 29, 2007.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I have a long time customer who wants me to bust up and remove the concrete slab thay have behind their house. The slab is 11'x10' and 4" thick. How would i go about pricing this. I was thinking of renting a small jackhammer, Remember this will be me doing this solo. Thanks in advance:weightlifter:
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

For something that small an electric jackhammer should be good.
    -Time to pick up a jackhammer at rental store
    -Rental fee
    -Not more than 1 hour to break up and load the concrete
    -Concrete disposal fee
    -Time to haul concrete and return jackhammer
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you are doing this Solo, I would rent a skid steer, or at minimum, a mini skid with a jackhammer attachment and a bucket. This way you can bust up the concrete, and have a non-back breaking way to load it into the trailer or dump for disposal. Also, you can then grade out the area where the patio was at and leave a nice, clean yard for the homeowner.
  4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to say that renting any more than a jack hammer for this TINY job would be excess overhead. You can do this in a few hours with a pick ax and a sledge hammer, but a jack hammer will have you done and ready to go in 1/3 of that time.
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

If you're passing along the costs associated with the rental, how is it overhead?

I agree that a mini-skid with a hammer attachment, and the bucket for clean-up is the quickest and easiest way.

A pick ax and a sledge hammer... 4" thick concrete, possibly reinforced. With all due respect, you're nuts.
  6. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

I definitely would not bother doing it buy hand...

I would saw cut it into six pieces and load it into the truck via skidsteer, very little mess,quick and painless.
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Jack hammer is the way to go. With a skid steer your going to pay at leastand $150 for half a day and a jack hammer is about $75 for the day. Hope you got a dump trailer. Your going to get winded by yourself.
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Cutting it isn't a bad idea either, but rebar could complicate the process.
  9. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

My Partner saw and diamond blade has no problem with rebar....:)
  10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're passing on the costs of rental, then it's still money out-of-profit. Here's what I mean: We own our skid steer and "Joe's Quick Cut" (made up name) doesn't. He charges $750 for a job and we come in at $675. The homeowner can choose either company, but I guarantee that (with a lower estimate) our profit margin will sow more benefits because of us not renting equipment, the customer got the better estimate, and the job will be done correctly.

If we did not own a skid steer, we would estimate the job the same because our inability to produce the equipment needed for the job is not the customers fault and "we" should suffer from the rental overhead, not the customer. It is our job (as the contractor) to own the tools for our trade. If we do not, it is our duty to suffer the consequences (or buy the tools you need to do the work you promote). I have noticed that companies that have to rent equipment are normally doing work they are not versed in, thus is the reason they lack the equipment. Most painters will buy a brush before the sell a painting job.