concrete slabs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BVLAWNCARE, Sep 21, 2004.

1. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have yet another question...
    I was wondering for a hard bed patio or walkway, how thickshould the conrete slab underneath the paver be?

What if your doing a conrete driveway, how thick should the slab be if its a pure concrete drive or sidewalk?

Thanks in advance for the replys

2. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

as for concrete drive and walkways most people around here go 4" i would go any less than that but that is just me

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Why would you want to pour concrete under a paver patio/walkway?

Aren't you subject to frost in Ill? If so, concrete base is going to crack. Gravel base will "flex" with the freeze/thaw cycle.

Need more info.....

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

For a straight concrete drive, I wouldn't go any less than 6". Sidewalks are OK at 4".

Don't put pavers over concrete, like Mark said, it will crack eventually. I've seen it done, but I'm sure there's going to be future problems.

Dan

5. BVLAWNCARE

Hey guys
    Thanks for the replies. I do have another question related to this though... I thought that you could put concrete base under bricks and pavers even in cold climates. Aren't 'hard bed' driveway and walk recommended for quality and durability?

6. GreenMonster

from NH

I'm not familiar with the term "hard bed", but a properly installed walk on a crushed gravel base is going to last for years -- longer than a walk installed on a concrete slab that is going to heave every winter.

7. BVLAWNCARE

Thanks for the tips. Yeah the book im reading about it refers to it as a 'hard bed'. One more question though, doesn't a soft-set walkway and drive get like weeds that grow in the joints? I have seen that before; does that just mean that it wasnt installed right?

8. GreenMonster

from NH

Possibly installed improperly -- if insufficient base material is used, and no geo textile UNDER the base, weeds could make their way through. More often than not, the weeds you see are from wind-blown germination. There isn't much you can do about it, although polymeric sand will help, and hit it with round-up from time to time.