concrete/stone pond repair

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by 2low4NH, Apr 20, 2012.

1. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

I am looking at repairing a stone/crete pond. I am going to use thoroseal with weld-O-bond and acryl60 admix to adhere to tthe pond base. They plan on putting goldfish in the pond does anyone know if these products are safe for fish? is there a better cement based waterproofing product?

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you want to use a cement based waterproofing product? There are several epoxy or liquid EPDM products on the market made specifically for sealing concrete ponds. These products are FISH-SAFE, so there is no guesswork. Epoxies include Koi Kote and Pond Shield or Herco H-55 if you prefer liquid EPDM.
    Personally, I would demo the concrete and install a 45 mil EPDM liner. Less expense and maintenance in the long term. Concrete ponds WILL crack over time and no matter how well or expertly the are repaired will continue to crack.

3. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

Thanks for the lead on the products. I suggested a tear out of the basin that is in there and rebuild it with a new rubber liner. They said its not in the budget yet but maybe in the next couple years. I will check out the epoxy based products