Condo Estimate????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 2menandamower, Sep 12, 2006.

1. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Ok I need some advice on this one. I have a Condo complex that is wanting me to submit a bid. I know 1 residnet that lives there now and one that moved out last year. They have both told me (at seperate times and not knowing that I had heard it from the other) that the maintenence fees for each resident are 75.00 per month for 12 months. I have driven through the complex and counted 55 units. That comes to 49,500.00 per year. The contract calls for Mowing 28 times per year (can bill for additional cuts), mulching in the Spring with Hardwood Mulch (about 90 cubic yards), trimming Hedges 2 times per year, cleaning out gutters 3 times per year and chems 4 treatments per year and aeration and overseeding in the fall. I have been told by the company that I sub my chems to that they used to service this property and there is 225,000 SF of lawn area. So my question is knowing what the budget is (49,500.00) what should I bid??? I have done the math and the total cost for the company (supplies, man hours, chems etc, etc, will be around 17,00.00 per year. So would you bid for the max budget or what???? I just don't want to leave any money on the table but I also want to land this account. This could for sure push me into the fulltime world in a hurry. Let me know what you guys think about this one.....

Thanks

2. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

You may get a better response in the "commercial lawn mowing" area. Most viewers in this area are newbies. Good Luck.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Condo maintenance fees include water- insurance- exterior building maintenance- sewer- pools- management fees- reserves, and lawn care

Go to lowes and buy a wheel-- measure everything. Find out how long it will take you to do the property and plug in your companies hourly rate. Add chemicals and divide by 12

4. 2menandamower

PMLAWN,

That is what I was thinking about the fees but the lady that lives there told me that the fees are for lawn maitinance only and that the homeowners (or condo owners as they would be) are responsible for their own buildings ie painting etc. and there is no pool. Most of the people that live there are over 60 and I guess they don't need a pool. She said that the 75.00 per month went to the lawn care and that is it....

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

it cannot be true...

if they are common areas, then part of thier dues goes to property taxes, etc..

also with condo's the exterior maintenance is ALWAYS an association responsibility...only the top floor would be responsible for the roof if that would be the case.

also are there community street lights? who pays the bill......

we do mostly condo complexes, and that figure is pretty high for only a 55 unit complex for grounds only

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I would check into that, A true condo unit is deeded to the owner as only the airspace within the walls and all the exterior is common. --Is this a townhouse complex??

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

If this could propel you into full-time, don't you think it would be smart to actually go do the leg work on the property to properly prepare the bid? Seems to me like you are trying to take the easy route. This job could propel you into full time failure as well if you don't do your research. It's great to have a little inside info to help along the way, but you still need to measure the property, look at shrub trimming times, etc.. Who says the fert sub measured accurately? Who says they make money on the job?

Going off what other people say is a quick way into the crapper. I suggest doing your bid and then seeing where the numbers are. Also, you will not find a more picky customer than a retired condo owner!!!!!! They have nothing but every single day to pick apart your work. Better be prepared to go beyond the call of duty with this type of property, and your employees as well.

8. 2menandamower

Thanks for the response guys I really am greatful. I have looked at all the shrubs and I have walked and measured the property. I came up with 214,796 SF. I may have missed an area or two but I think I am cloe. I also found out that last year the contract for the LCO (that they are not happy with) was $31,000.00. As for not really looking at the property I have done that and I am not going to rely on that property only to make the move to full time. With the properties that I have now I net about 500.00 per month more than I make at my full time job and that is after all expenses including payroll, taxes, insurance etc....Thanks again for the advise....