1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Condo Questions??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LWNMWR1, Apr 28, 2005.

1. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

calling on all your wisdom... i just missed on a bid the other day. not the end of the world but got to thinking... how do you all go about the pricing of these things. per unit pricing hourly square footage. a penny for your thoughts
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Avoid them. They are like apartment complexes and HOA's. They are nothing but trouble and will cost you money over the long haul.

They will usually take the low bidder then drive him crazy with bullsh/t, petty complaints. You will never be able to please every condo owner since each one wants his or lawn cut a certain way.

Take some sage and experienced advice...leave it alone.
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

This doesn't answer your question but who got em? P.S. I'd tell you how I bid mine :cool: but then I'd have to kill ya.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ding ding ding... we have a winner.

When I WAS doing them, I would charge between $37.50 - $55 / unit, depending on what the bid was and how much common area there was.
  5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

On any property like that (apartments, condos, townhomes etc...) I estimate per building and then estimate the common areas. I add the two together and that is my bid.

I do not tell the client my hourly rates or the price per unit. I give one price to them.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

WAYYYY TOO high for my area, your talkin bout $20 and under for this area.
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you're doing condo's for $20 a pop...you're in serious trouble. Get out while you can.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Same for our area, around $20 per unit. We will take those all day long when you can get 30 units and $600 at one stop. The extra stuff at a condo set of units can be good. Drainage ponds cleanout and stripping of fire lanes, trees, irrigation, drainage, pest control, it goes on and on. But you do have to kiss up to all the major players in the HOA. But heck that is the way with all accounts.