Condo's and HOA's are such a PITA!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Aug 24, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

GOD! finally done giving 3 bids out, two for HOA's and one for a condo complex. What a real PITA! 4 pages of detailed specific B.S.! When to mow grass, what height, where to put the snow, they wanted 3 seperate bids for what kind of salt for main drive, what kind for sidewalks, how much for each sidewalk instead of one price for the whole property and so on. On the lawn care end of it they wanted how much for weed control in the flower beds with 2 different kinds of weed killer, and sperate bids for weed control under decks, how much for a spring clean up broken down hourly vs. a flate rate and on and on. Is it really worth the aggravation? I am beginning to wonder.:dizzy:
  2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

It is worth it! The specifics are there to protect you and the customer. They spell it all out to eliminate or reduce conflicts and disputes. It also makes the bidding field a little more level if everyone bids to do the same work. You do weed out the inexperienced. They are looking to mow, blow and go.

Using different chems for different apps is normal. Non-selective under the decks and selective in grass and flower beds, just not the same chems.

If you think that 4 pages of specs are heavy then by all means avoid any work with the federal gov't. FAR regs are in phonebook style with pages of references to look up regarding specs on the scope of work, labor, wages and benefits you must pay, OSHA standards, etc.,etc..

It makes it simple when something goes wrong to point out that the work was done in accordance with the contract specifications, pay up!
  3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You think this is hard, wait until one of them approves your bid! Nowadays I just send them a no-bid letter and I'm done with it, it's the fastest way I could think of getting out of making no money.

I won't do it, I figure there's plenty other guys who can deal with it because after it's all said and done, I earn a LOT more money cutting resis and single owner businesses when I don't gotta waste time with all the bs and the nonsense. Not a one multi-pwner (read: association owned) place is worth it, every one of them will try and tell you what and how and when, out of every 100 members at least a few will pore through your contract and tear it apart to find the loopholes and once they find them then they will start calling you and complaining about what didn't get done and it just never ends.

Nothing but a bunch of comedians, that's all most associations consist of is some of them THINK they own something so now they want to run your business. Actually, most of the members are pretty cool but the few pitas can and will try real hard to ruin it for you and all the rest (or die trying lol). Even if you have a 400,000 page contract, there are always some members who apparently live for the thrill of reading through contracts to find what they think of as their little bennies. Now you know that once they find (or even think they found) a bennie, it goes without saying that you will be expected to deliver on this on a regular basis.

Then I need at least a Class-A contractor's license and insurance, too? Well there's another thousand dollars, who is paying for all this anyhow? Them? What about my resis, they're paying for it and so am I, no way.

I did it ONE time, never again.

ARTQOS LawnSite Member

I Think i did the same bids as you,Just faxed 4 though .what a bunch of bull I cant believe the stuff they want you to go into such detail like i am god and can speculate on how long it will take me to weed and maintain 96 units "weed free" I have no idea where to begin.Then for snow they want you to do ice melt on the cement roads which are connected to sidewalks and make sure I use salt on walks. crazy i tell u!!!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

HOA home owner association,i have one under a broker he is cool but the home owners can have one small problem and my phone rings.
  7. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

a SKANKY girl!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL, a ho thatz funny.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We just finished a removal and install on a 27 unit complex, it took four renditions of contracts to get an agreement, the first day there was a nightmare due to one resident, (we still did VERY well that day), and I told him straight up why they continuously send out bids and get no replies........(they've been bugging us for 3 years to maintain the place) one wants to deal with the B.S...............he agreed.
  10. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

If you get a good management co. or individual board member that knows what's going on to deal with, it can be fine. It's when the other residents come out and ask you to do things they are not authorized to be asking, it can get bad. Going to a board meeting? Thats some disfunctional stuff there...