Confederate with round-up if I am using harley rake

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by joallen001, Feb 28, 2006.

1. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

I am going to be seeding a yard with confederate mid march. If I am going to be using a harley rake to level the yard is there any point in spraying the whole yard with round up. Also will 8lbs per 1000sq.ft. be enough seed. At that rate the seed will run me around $600. Also are there any recommendations of something I can use other than straw. I plan to seed the yard and apply a starter fertilizer 6-12-12 and straw. Any advice is appreciated. This is my first big seed job so I wanna make sure I do it right.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

using roundup will kill any weeds that are green now. it is a great idea.... wait a few days after spraying to rake it.
    they make fiber fabric mats that you can use instead of straw.
  3. look at penn mulch, their are other simuliar products
  4. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Eight pounds per thousand sounds too heavy to me!What kind of seed you using?Get a bale chopper at equip rental that fits in a pickup and use straw unless wind is a problem.All other mulches are qiute salty!
  5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Confederate is a TTTF. 8lbs per M is about 7lbs of PLS. More than is needed but if he is broadcasting should be about right. I agree with renting a straw blower. Beats the heck out of spreading straw by hand.

As for all other mulches being salty, Just which type of mulch are you refering to as being salty?
  6. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Looks like I am gonna wait till fall to do the yard. Someone said that the bermuda would probably fight out the confederate if I seeded the yard now.