Confessions of a killer...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GreenthumbGA, Apr 8, 2008.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I have built and sold many full service chem fert plans over the last couple of months. IN the last month or so, I have become determined to not lay another chemical if I can help it.

I know I can get away without the herbicides, and ferts. I am in a quandary as to the pesticides. I have oathed either a single treatment of Top choice for the year or three treatments of fert mixed with talstar.

I am about to have to start laying the Top choice. I feel as if I am about to commit murder.

Any way, as I walk toward the spreader with my head hung low and the microbe angel tied up and laying on my shop floor, Rodale and Ingham are playing taps on harmonica's made of hemp. My worms are all humming some low chant, my compost pile stopped steaming in a moment of silence.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Greenthumb, you should be a crime novelist, you had me laughing for sure.

What is it that you are trying to control as far as pests. maybe a scorched earth policy would work on them too
  4. GreenthumbGA

Not trying to control any particular type of pest. Just sold as part of the program. It seems that regardless of whether or not there are bad bugs, people want to drop nukes(just in case). Kind of like a pre-m for bugs. And don't want it if you don't.

I told them I was going to lay these products and I am not a liar.

woe to the days of transition,
    to nights where there is no sleep,
    chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, salts,
    while buckets of microbes they steep.
  5. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

what are you doing to cover for the herbicides??
  6. GreenthumbGA

In place of the atrazine and stonewall that are in my current program, corn gluten meal will be used as needed. For spot spraying, in cracks, drives, 15-20% Vineger.
  7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

OK LETS START SLOW, Diatomaceous earth will kill ants, they hate fish oil and it realy gums them up, molasses is a shur fire cure for ants, i dont know why but it mess them up bad, and now to mint oil, it is a neuro toxin to ants (like nerve gas for ants) and it smells pepper wax is good stuff also. The use of pyrethrum in insecticide preparations dates back to Persia, about 400 B.C. It is believed that the early use and preparation of the plant was a closely guarded secret, which could explain serious difficulties in determining the exact date of the discovery of pyrethrum's insecticide properties.
  8. GreenthumbGA

Arsenal on ants built.....

Now on to the souths main enemy due to marketing.....mole crickets

9 out of 10 people make sure I am laying something that handles these buggers.

What you think....
  9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

any thing with antlers will hurt from the mint those are like eyes to us and any hot or strong smell/ taste will usually make them bug out
  10. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Believe it or not UF actually listed nematodes as a legit biological control for mole crickets maybe that could help.