Conflict of Interest, I'm torn here, need advice...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lawnmaniac883, Sep 24, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok so I have a customer that i recently came across, he inquired about me repairing his lawn. Long story short I am stuck with fixing some other companies F up. I feel bad for the guy because he spent over 4k to have his small postage stamp type property sodded, install irrigation and landscaped. Now the kicker is that the company didnt A) install well taps and pump for him, B) They installed an entire system using IIRC 5/8th's pipe on city water.

Now the problem is that I will obviously need to replace the junk Orbit pop ups and the junk mini rotors they installed but how much pressure should I put on him to upgrade his system correctly by having well taps installed + making a 1'' manifold with reliable valves and 3/4'' pipes to the heads?

The valves are orbit jar-tops prolly from lowes :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

He just wants a working deal here ya know but I dont want him to get screwed because he has crappy components.

The company didnt even finish the sod install the back still needs 750sqft which I will install as well as 250 more to repair the front.

Will this system work well if I upgrade the popups to rainbird 1800 series and rotors to pgp's??

I would feel really bad telling this guy that he just wasted 4k but I will if I have to. Plus it is my problem if when I upgrade heads the system doesnt work like it needs to. If you guys need any more information let me know. I have about one or two weeks until I absolutely have to tell him about this.

It would be much easier replacing lines before they are buried than after...HELP!

2. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand the conflict of interest. I would tell him how much to do the job 100% right. He must know he got screwed if he has called you to fix the mess. Don't stoop to the other guy's level. Do it right!

3. lawnmaniac883

Conflict of interest is basically do I go ahead and install turf after advising him of what needs to be done and after he declines?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely it will still be crappy with good heads. The heads aren't usually the issue (unless nozzled wrong) when you are dealing with a poor system. The design and pipe sizing are.

5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Dirty water. You can replace all the heads and valves and it still will not be perfect. What I would do before you tell the guy you can fix everything is to let him sign a contract stating. You will replace all heads and valves to improve the system but it still may not be perfect and you are only replacing the cheap heads and valves.

Thats what I would to make sure the guy dont blame you for ,messing something up.

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Best thing to do is install a new system. You will forever be eating the "warranty" on any band-aid work you do to it. And if you don't go over when he calls to say the system needs a little tweaking, then he will bad-mouth you to the world.

Tell him he bought a POS system and you don't feel it is salvagable.

7. lawnmaniac883

What the real issue IMO is is the water supply. City water with 1/2'' valves. I am going to explain to the guy that he really needs well taps and a pump installed for the system to ever operate well. I will also try to make the zones set up for a well so that when he does (if) get a pump installed the installer will only need to merge four zones into two for the system to work with the added pressure. I will tell him that there will be no warranty repair for this job.

I know the heads arent the issue with water pressure/performance but how long is a orbit POS lowes special going to last in there? The moron that put all this in has them set up so that they are above ground and would be above the turf if I werent going to bury the lines. Replacement of heads is for reliability and longetivity only. Going with hunter I-20 rotors because of the short radius I need.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What 1/2 inch valves? Diaphragm valves? Stops? Gates? Ball valves? If the water supply is weak, and the pressure less than you'd want, a PGP could be better than an I-20. Why can't you make a connection to his house supply line?

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if this fellow had a written contract with the previous company? In this state, the homeowner could have the right to make the previous company pay someone, such as you, to come in and finish the job – or to tear up the old work and reinstall things correctly.

If this is a postage stamp sized lot, for more than one reason I’d think twice before making or suggesting a radical change.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I-20's are horrible choices when the water pressure is weak. They won't pop all the way and seal the whiper seal.