Confront and New Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scraper, May 20, 2003.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I see on label not to seed for three weeks after treatment. My question is, how soon after seeding and growth is noted would it be safe to spray? I aerated and overseeded my property three weeks ago and with all the rain it is coming in nice. Now it is time to hit the masses of plantain I have. Should I wait until I know I have been actually cutting the new grass or since Confront is broadleaf selective not be concerned. I saw no reference on label to post seeding application.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

What type of grass? For a rule of thumb that I use - NO chemical applications until at least 4 mowings.

Mike

3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I would wait until it has been cut at least six times!!

It's more important to get the grass healthy and let the grass help choke out the weeds.

4. Scraper

Well I was leaning more towards 3 times as 6 will take me into the heat of summer and probably temps above what I would spray in. As for letting the grass get thicker, have you ever walked across a field of plantain? Like walking thru a bowl of lettuce. LOL I have finally reached the threshold where the grass just may outnumber the weeds. Has been a couple years of aerating and overseeding with leftover seed from jobs. Kinda like a free lawn although spending lots of patience waiting. ;)

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we do 2 full cuts. That means that all of the new grass gets cut 2 times before spraying. If you have areas that are not tall enough to cut then wait for them to catch up with the rest.

6. contact the manufactor about it, but first check label again, I would think it would be on label.

my sample label, under APPLICATION DIRECTIONS, 3rd paragraph, states: "Newly seeded turf should be mowed --------or --------- times before being treated."

7. Scraper

8. Scaper,
    Just wanted to make sure you were reading the label. Your blindness is a problem, maybe you should check your eyes. All aside, it's on your label you supplied, but in a different location then I said. LOOK at pg 3; under APPLICATION DIRECTIONS; 2nd paragraph; next to last sentence.

9. Scraper

LOL...there it is. Thanks Tim. Kinda what I figured. Still can't believe I overlooked that many times.