CONFRONT herbicide is not banned

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Jan 24, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

someone told me confront herbicide was banned. i cried for days, and then called my contact at the d.e.p. guess what? the product was not banned, nor was it even considered being banned. not in nj anyway.

2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

Confront is not banned.

One of its active ingredients-Clopyralid is being voluntarily relabeled by the manufacturer NOT for use on home lawns.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

So not banned, Just can't use it! Next time you see a grass bagger, thank him!

4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

A grass bagger? Is that what you call a composter? How bout a clipping collector?

jim

5. Them tomato's were good eh?

Someone found residue in their grass clipping pile. What they were checking it for is beond me.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, got some more info: confront is, as we speak, not banned from use on residential props. however, in april of 2003, the manufacturer will present its case and a ban may, or may not take place.

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby...where are you getting this information? Not that it matters this season as I bought enough last fall to make it through this summer, but I have not heard a thing of what you are talking about. Dow is the one asking for it be removed from residential use...not all use.

P.S. And if it is removed from residential applications by changing the label, EPA rules must be followed by NJ.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

that is correct. i am getting my info from the nj d.e.p. if, a label change is to take place, it will happen sometime after april 3. the nj d.e.p contacted dow, and this is the info they got. point being, as of right now, u can use the product. there may, or may not be, a label change sometime after 4/3. personally i love the product. but, if it is found to be un suitable for res props, then we change to trimec or millenium. do u like confront? have u found anything just as good?

9. lbyl53

lbyl53 Member

I am in Ny and am pretty sure we are not allowed to use anymore confront unless we still have some from prev. year. I love the product but the people who caused the problem were the composters. The collected clippings are dumped at composting sites which do not allow the material to compost for one year and the end product of the composting facilities killed plants that it was used on. when they looked into it they found the active ingredient in the compost. I think Dow just wanted to avoid problems so they said they would change the label. The problem lies in the compost sites not ageing compost for one year. The Label states to leave the clippings or compost for a one year period. They don't do that!
    :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

10. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

At a Pesticide Recertification class (NJ) yesterday a supplier told us we can still use Confront on residentials if it has the old label. A supplier for lesco has stocked up enough Clopyralid to last through 2004. Because the ban was voluntary the time frame is not as restictive.

Also, Clopyralid will NOT be banned from commercial use only being restricted on residential lawns and sites where clippings are removed/recycled.

He also mentioned the reason Dow did this was essentially to massage the EPA for future products. He said he was excited about some new chemistry in the pipeline...